Monday, September 25, 2017

Instant quilt top!

... well not quite -  but it felt like it.

Here's what happened...

The other day, I finally got up the energy to tackle organizing fabric/craft shelves in the studio. While I was digging and sorting, I came across some ancient quilt squares I'd started when I still lived with Mom and Dad.. (so at least a decade ago)
I only have a vague remembrance of the plan I had for them. They were large, but weren't quite square - 15"x16". And some of the edges were really uneven. But there were 10 of them, and they had some potential still.

I set to trimming them up, then I cut each one in half, giving me 20 striped rectangles. I had a good sized chunk of a pale green fabric grabbed at some sale or other, so I cut that up into matching rectangles.

I don't have room for a fancy design wall in the studio but a stripped bed works just as well! I set to laying my squares down.
And I settled on a layout I liked. It's nothing fancy or complicated, but I think it's quite pleasing.

Because I long ago learned to sew in small sessions (as opposed to marathons where I make MAJOR mistakes), it took me the weekend to get it together...
But it felt like it came together in an instant. It's not perfect...
But the outdoor quilt inspector says it meets his quality standards.

Come payday, I'll get something for the binding and backing, as well as batting. I think I'll try to tackle this one all on my own instead of sending it up to Mom for finishing. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one reminds me of St. Patrick's Day.

Relic sure looks like he is already "at home" at your place. He's such a handsome fella!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I love the colours. Pretty kitty too!

Have great week,
Andrea

Eastside Cats said...

I like it! And kitty approval is impawtant...

chrisknits said...

It's a win all around! A FO from a long standing WIP and a useful item when you're done. And a cute inspector makes it all the better.

kathy b said...

I love the greens. Will look good in ALL SEASONS. Only green can do that!

Araignee said...

Those easy ones that just come together are always the best quilts. I am pulling my hair out with the two I have in the works right now. I hate thinking. I just want to do.

Cat Lover said...

I love how you arranged the squares Valerie. Sigh...to be crafty!
Robin

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I'm with Relic. I love how you put this together...well done!!

Delighted Hands said...

Excellent work! The greens look so fresh and saving the 'disaster' of long ago is more rewarding! Yay for the finishing ahead!

gayle said...

It's not a quilt until a cat has approved! And I agree with the feline verdict!