Saturday, September 9, 2017

It's the little things

I should be finishing the top of the bear paw or pinwheels quilt, but since I had the fabric, I just couldn't resist starting my batik quilt.

A while back, Delighted Hands posted a Sawtooth star block she'd sewn. Next to paws, stars are my  favourite quilt block, and this one looked like something I could handle. When she told me it could be done with four charm squares, I knew I wanted to use my batiks!
 It took a little work, but I managed one. It's definitely more involved than anything I've done before so I'll be taking my time with this one. That said... I do still like some automation - and cutting all those little triangles for the stars rays just wasn't going to happen.

But just like my hourglass quilt, there's a way to make them out of charm squares.  To get eight (instead of two) from one charm square, you need to do things a little different.

Layer your fabrics together and draw a line from corner to corner
 Next, stitch a quarter inch from each side of both lines.
 Then cut along each line
 And cut each resulting triangle in half
 After a quick press... eight perfect little 2 inch squares.
It still takes time, but its much easier than cutting and sewing each tiny square.

My quilt will have 16 stars total, so I was able to chain sew and then cut all the little rays at once. It will just make assembly time that much smoother.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't sew . . . looks like MAGIC to me! LOL

Araignee said...

Nice! I love stars too. I have a beautiful stars kit in here somewhere. If I ever get Daddio's quilt tops finished I just may get it started someday. So much material, so little time.

kathy b said...

Look at you ! Wonderful work. I admire all of you who sew quilt and the like. Do the cats try to interfere?

Delighted Hands said...

I'm so proud of you! This is a beautiful star!!!!! Great job on the half square triangle assembly line!

chrisknits said...

I love stars too, there are so many ways to make them. Love your take with the batiks.

Vera said...

Beautiful! Batik fabrics are some of my favorites.