Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday sprouts

The weekend weather might still be chilly, but it looks like the gardens survived the (hopefully) last dying blast of winter. Once the snow melted I (and of course Rocky) went out to inspect the damage. The Columbine, Delphiniums and Bachelor Buttons seemed to have braved it well

 
Out front, the spring bulbs are a little flattened and creased
But otherwise, no worse for wear.
The Hyacinth is still on track to bloom
And so is the Turkistan Tulip! The race is on.

Indoors, where the temperature is decidedly more habitable
The mammoth sunflowers are going crazy
The red ones aren't quite as robust, but the aren't getting a much sun either. I'm going to move thing around a bit to see if it makes a difference
The Johnny Jump-Ups are sprouting all over the place.

While the Milkweed is moving at a much slower pace.
I was getting worried about the Nasturtiums. While one sprout was growing really well, there were no sign of any others. But a day or two later...
They made their appearance.
The Sweetpeas are also on a slow and steady track.

The only thing there's no sign of yet are the Japanese Lanterns. But the package says 2-4 weeks for germination, so I'll just have to be patient.

In the mean time, I've got more garden goodness to get on with... but more of that on another day!

4 comments:

Araignee said...

Isn't it amazing how the green things act as if all this crazy weather is a non issue. I wish it were a non issue for me. It's freezing!

kathy b said...

Phew. Looks like they are pretty hardy. My columbine may survive too ..you give me hope!
I know the roses will be fine. I had two very brave daffodils bloom and the others stayed in their greeny blankets .
oh spring...so fickle

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Looks like you lucked out and all your sprouts survived. It's starting to warm back up here in the Carolinas but some leaves on my camellias got nipped. Crazy weather. It had been so warm here and then suddenly we got frost.

Anonymous said...

It's HARD to be patient when you are waiting for SPRING!