Wednesday, April 13, 2016

We're going to need a bigger garden

As I alluded to the other day... there's a little more garden action going on here. It all started because I need some more supplies to get my Foxglove seeds planted. I thought, if I'm going to plant the Foxglove... a few more things won't hurt....
So some Lupine, Chives, and Poppy seeds made their way home. And of course, I needed to stop at Dollarama for more potting trays. And wouldn't you know it, they got some new things in...
Dahlia bulbs!!! Can you believe it??? At the dollar store!!!! I'll let you in on a little secret. I adore Dahlias. Always have. But I've held off on getting any because:
a) In this area, they aren't winter hardy. You have to dig them up before the frost or keep them in pots. And I've been focused on the getting the permanent gardens established
and
b) they can be darn expensive. Just one bulb generally runs anywhere from $6 to $20 depending on the  type.
But did you see the price of these ones up in the right top corner.. just $2.50! Now... I'm fully aware that being that it's the dollar store, there's no guarantee these are viable. But for $2.50, I'm willing to take the chance.
I'm taking a chance on a few other things too
Irises, Anemones and Sparaxis. Also $2.50 a bag (10 bulbs in each of these).
I've decided to give everything a head start, and planted them in pots. This will also (hopefully) help squirrel-proof them a little. The last time I planted bulbs directly in the garden in spring, Mr. Squirrel got everything but my Gladiolus.
Of course, I didn't have enough soil for everything, so the Dahlias will have to wait until the next trip to Dollarama. Let's hope it's not as dangerous.

6 comments:

Araignee said...

I have a bad case of bulb envy. I was eyeing my neighbor's tulips with impure thoughts today. Sometimes I really hate being in the woods-until it's 100 degrees outside, that is.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

What ever happened to stuff in the Dollar store only costing a dollar?! LOL! But that's still a really good deal for Dahlias and they are so pretty! Sounds like you have some pretty naughty squirrels there. Looking forward to seeing how your garden grows.

Anonymous said...

Seeing those Burpee seeds was a blast from the past.

We lived around the corner from Burpee when I was in high school. My mom even worked there at one time.

kathy b said...

We saw wild LUpine in the Smoky mountains today. Oh it was so lovely........
you have green thumb fever lady!

gayle said...

I love all your flowers! (Lupines are one of my favorites, as a matter of fact!)
I completely understand how you would find them irresistible!
Happy planting!

Delusional Knitter said...

I'm going to miss my little front garden this year ... we had some excavation around the foundation of the house done to stop water issues and ...

So my little primroses that were coming back bigger and bigger every year are gone ...