Thursday, September 1, 2016

Fabricland

We've got a bit of a baby boom on at Chez Wandering Cat.

Well... there are two.... not quite a boom, but enough to have me crafting away. One has already been born (just a couple of weeks ago) and the other is due in November. I haven't really been in the mood to knit for them, so I thought I'd make some quilts this time around.

The first baby, belongs to my coworker in California.  For her first child, I knit the Kittens and Butterfly blanket, so  I thought I'd stick with the cat theme and ordered up some fat quarters. At the time I ordered them, I didn't know the gender of the baby (it's a little girl), and I thought these colours went nicely with the cat fabric, while still being gender neutral, but fun!
I haven't completely settled on a design, but I'm thinking something like this.
 And I'm thinking I'll pick up a piece of leopard print for the backing....or maybe some paw prints!

The next baby is a little boy who will be born to a pair of Dave's guitar students (don't worry, they are adults!) so I thought a guitar theme would be in order.
I actually had some other fabric picked out, but Dave vetoed it and said go for the green. I'm going to stay the simple route and try something like this
And while not quilt fabric, I also picked up some more light cotton to make another pair of lounge pants
 So I guess I have a lot of sewing and cutting ahead of me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww...nothing sweeter than baby quilts.

Araignee said...

What fun! Baby quilts are the best things ever. Small and sweet. You can't go wrong.

elns said...

I love you fabrics and layouts/patterns for the quilts. It's really very sweet of you to do this. I laughed when you pointed out Dave's guitar students are adults. hehe.

Anyways, obviously you knitting for the babies wouldn't seem like such a big deal to me, because you're such a great knitter, but seeing how you can turn you hand at multiple homemade quality gifts ... I'm wowed. :)

Happy sewing. Between your lounge pants and Araignee's dresses, i have such sewing envy! I want to place some orders!

Unknown said...

I keep thinking to get back to quilting, but then I think, nope, I'll just grab the knitting. But the bug is getting bitier, Is that a word? Well it fits my thoughts, so I'm going with it! Love the colors you have picked out!

kathy b said...

THe guitar idea ROCKS. ROcks ! Awesome colors with it. My fav

gayle said...

Woohoo! Look at you go!
You found some perfect fabrics! (I love those kitties, especially!)
Your quilts are going to be fabulous!