Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another one falls down the rabbit hole

Not to long ago, I shared a story about my friend Aneesha's first venture into knitting.

Well today, I got an email saying she's ready to move on beyond baby booties and hats, and did I have any patterns I could suggest? After going back and forth for a bit, I mentioned knitting toys. Knitted toys are what got me into knitting - and I still love doing it.

I suggested this easy peasy bunny
And sent her a link to the site with the pattern. Apparently that was a mistake, because she came back a few minutes later.

"Do you think I have enough skill to make this one?"
Okay.. it uses a few techniques she doesn't know yet, but that's nothing an afternoon lesson can't solve. And it just so happens that she has a birthday coming up next week, and I didn't have a present for her yet. Normally I'd knit her something, but now that she's a knitter...
Everything she needs to make her owl (except for the stuffing which I'll pick up this weekend). The pattern calls for Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky, but at $16.99 a skein, it's just not in the budget right now.I found this Bernat Roving at Lens Mills (a local discount/surplus store) for about a third the price. It's nice and soft and had a great range of colours. I think it's going to be a fantastic substitute.

Now we just have to make a date to get together.

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Whoa...that's one big owl! We've got one about that size out here but it's not quite as nice to the cats as that one!

Unknown said...

You're such a wonderful person to have taught her knitting and to give her that present! I think she'll love it! As for the bunny, I love it and I think I'm going to try out that pattern! ;-)

Leslie said...

I so love getting yarn, needles and accessory gifts! So thoughtful of you!

lexa said...

Love them! Too cute. :)

Unknown said...

The bunny sure is cute! But what a great idea to buy the materials for the owl for your friend! I think she'll be thrilled!

Delusional Knitter said...

Fantastic gift! And I agree, stuffies don't need to be knit in $16.99/skein yarn.