Thursday, May 22, 2014

Another one falls down the rabbit hole

Not to long ago, I shared a story about my friend Aneesha's first venture into knitting.

Well today, I got an email saying she's ready to move on beyond baby booties and hats, and did I have any patterns I could suggest? After going back and forth for a bit, I mentioned knitting toys. Knitted toys are what got me into knitting - and I still love doing it.

I suggested this easy peasy bunny
And sent her a link to the site with the pattern. Apparently that was a mistake, because she came back a few minutes later.

"Do you think I have enough skill to make this one?"
Okay.. it uses a few techniques she doesn't know yet, but that's nothing an afternoon lesson can't solve. And it just so happens that she has a birthday coming up next week, and I didn't have a present for her yet. Normally I'd knit her something, but now that she's a knitter...
Everything she needs to make her owl (except for the stuffing which I'll pick up this weekend). The pattern calls for Blue Sky Alpaca Bulky, but at $16.99 a skein, it's just not in the budget right now.I found this Bernat Roving at Lens Mills (a local discount/surplus store) for about a third the price. It's nice and soft and had a great range of colours. I think it's going to be a fantastic substitute.

Now we just have to make a date to get together.

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Whoa...that's one big owl! We've got one about that size out here but it's not quite as nice to the cats as that one!

Lily Razz said...

You're such a wonderful person to have taught her knitting and to give her that present! I think she'll love it! As for the bunny, I love it and I think I'm going to try out that pattern! ;-)

Leslie said...

I so love getting yarn, needles and accessory gifts! So thoughtful of you!

lexa said...

Love them! Too cute. :)

Nancy Kay said...

The bunny sure is cute! But what a great idea to buy the materials for the owl for your friend! I think she'll be thrilled!

Delusional Knitter said...

Fantastic gift! And I agree, stuffies don't need to be knit in $16.99/skein yarn.