Friday, May 9, 2014

Not so daffy

We finally got some seasonal weather here in Southern Ontario, and a few of my daffodils have finally come out in all their glory
Lovely and frilly! I didn't get as many as I'd hoped (damn squirrels!) but it's nice to see these ones blooming.

And those little white flowers I showed the other day... after looking at my pictures, I was beginning to suspect they weren't daffodils after all. On closer inspection of my pictures, I noticed that there didn't seem to be a trumpet part (or "corona, as my research on wikipedia has taught me).

Today, they finally opened up completely and confirmed my suspicions.
Definitely not a daffodil. After much scouring of the internets, I've discovered that these are Tulipa Turkestanica or Turkestan tulip.
Last fall, I bought a bag of mixed daffodil bulbs, and a bag of mixed tulip bulbs and just tossed them willy-nilly in the front garden. I expected to be surprised with the results, but I wasn't expecting anything like this - but I love them. They are so delicate. I hope they do well and multiply in the years to come.

Inside, the seeds I found when cleaning have turned out to be duds - not a sprout among them. So I picked up a couple more seed packs
 Sweet peas, poppies, echinacea, and columbine - that should brighten the backyard up nicely this summer.

7 comments:

Araignee said...

I love frilly daffies!

Unknown said...

Your daffodils look so pretty! And the tulips look pretty too, what a special flower! I'd love to have a garden too, but in the meantime I'll just enjoy yours!

Delusional Knitter said...

We had daffodils before and now only one comes up in the middle of the grass (nowhere near were we planted any) - so I think little furry critters are to blame for that! Your tulips are lovely. Very dainty and interesting.

Anonymous said...

You'll have LOTS of beautiful flowers to bring into the house.

Love that little Turkish flower. SO pretty!

Glad that spring has finally found its way up north. We've hit summer temps here already.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That's a fabulous tulip! Now I want some!

kathy b said...

sweet peas and peas in general like very very cool to cold weather. The rest should thrive!

Rachelle said...

That wee turkish flower is lovely. Hope the other seeds come up for you, I love echinacea; such a pretty flower.