Saturday, May 3, 2014

Hurricane Hazel

Last year, my bestie Samantha and I started a little tradition - on the first Saturday in May, she runs five kilometres, and I sit on my butt and watch.

Last year the Starbucks Hazel 5K race was held on a beautiful sunny day - this year was cold and rainy - but we were stalwart and kept up our traditions

The memorial selfie pic...
Pre-race pic as she suits up
 Stuck on the shuttle pic...
As soon as she was off to the start line, I hopped in the car and headed over to the finish line. I had quite the wait (over and hour until the race actually started), so I found a nice dry perch and settled in with my knitting
Sadly, I didn't get too much done (that my newest sock design). The wind that was coming off the lake was biting, and with the damp it didn't take long for my fingers to freeze right down to the bone. Instead I made a new  friend...
And watched the ships come in...
 ...or well... go out... or sit there, really. (That's some kind of gas filling station or something - it's quite a distance down the lake towards Oakville)

But, when it was time for Samantha to make her way across the end, I was ready! Last year, I completely missed her crossing, so this year she bought a neon yellow shirt to make it easier to pick her out in the crowd.
It worked  - I could see her from miles away! And had the camera up and ready as she came down the final stretch.
 And as she crossed the finish line!
And that rain and cold must certainly inspire a runner - she shaved three minutes off her time last year! Congratulations Samantha! Well run!

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Thanks babe! Having you there to cheer me on made it a perfect day, even with the rain. :) I'm so glad the yellow shirt worked! YAY!

Anonymous said...

That girl can RUN!!!! Congrats to her on the time.

Brrrrrrr...that picture with the ships just FEELS cold!


kathy b said...

Love your selfie. You are a great duo. How fun to do this annual event; you knit she runs! Love it

Unknown said...

Oh what a fun post! Good for you gals!

lexa said...

That would be me and my bff. I'd watch, she'd run, lol. Yay for a faster time!

Delusional Knitter said...

Awesome day! I love how she runs and you sit - I'd be sitting right there with you, LOL!

elns said...

That is so lovely that you went to cheer your friend on. I like your duck friend too hehe.