Monday, October 27, 2014

A world of colour

 I love this time of year - such a wonderful world of colour!

It was no different in the studio yesterday.
10 skeins of Slinky Cat dyed up and drying. It should be ready for the shop in a week or two. 

And since Mom has taken so much to spinning, I thought I'd try my hand at dyeing a little bit of bare fibre she had. 
The verdict is still out on my efforts - we'll see when they dry. But dyeing fiber is very different than yarn, and I'm not sure I like it as much. It doesn't take the dye the same and you have to be VERY careful not to felt it. Mom's going to let me how I made out with these ones and send me pics in a few days.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I agree that yarn is easier to dye, but at the same time nicely dyed fibre can give a result once spun that you'll never manage to dye onto yarn.
So far I haven't felted any of my fibre despite using the stove top method, I do have to fluff it out a little after dyeing but that's standard anyway unless it's superwash.

elns said...

I like the progression of the colors in the three photos :)

Slinky cat looks delicious. I'm baffled by fiber. spinning, and all the other technical stuff, including dying.

Araignee said...

I am just the opposite. I love dyeing fiber. Yarn terrifies me. I think it's because when yarn is dyed it's done but when fiber is dyed you can still fiddle with the colors in the process of spinning it. It is kind of scary because dyed fiber looks terrible when it is wet but it almost always returns to pretty fluff once it dries and usually has an amazing depth of color you can't get with yarn.

Unknown said...

Love your worlds of color!