Saturday, October 18, 2014

The great knit-cation: Day 8

There was one big road trip left for the great knit-cation: The Woodstock Fleece Festival!
It's about an hour and a half away, so I trundled up to Mom's, loaded her into the car an we hit the road!

We went to the WFF a few years back and I loved it. All the great vendors of the Toronto Frolic, but without the massive crowds. Well... apparently word has gotten out.... it's still all the great vendors... but the crowds are there now too! We managed to squeeze our way through. Mom got some lovely fibre to spin (from a vendor who has a shop 10 minutes from her house... but hey...) and I was on the lookout for something special.
Last time we were there, there were several rug-hooking vendors (something that I haven't seen at the Frolic). Two of my favourite bloggers hook rugs... and I've been wanting to give it a try for a while.

Sadly, the kits were well out of my budget, so I'm going to do a little more research and save up some money for next year.

Instead, I consoled myself with a beautiful hand made shawl pin
That happened to go just perfect with Lestrange.

And then I found a clearance bin with a pile of Himalayan silk.
None of the skeins match perfectly, and they are all different weights, but I just loved the colour and texture. The plan was to make a large, oversized tunic, but now I'm thinking it would look nice mixed in an afghan with a few other yarns....

Mom also made a new friend
And if there was a way we could have gotten her in the car, we probably would have tried. She was an absolute sweetie.

We took the backroads home, enjoying the fall colours and ended up going through the area where I grew up. We started reminiscing and decided to hit a little farm store we used to frequent to get a cup of hot apple cider.

Well that little farm store isn't so little any more. In fact they were quite the little tourist trap. It wasn't as packed as the festival, but there was quite the crowd! Certainly not how we remember it.
Especially in pumpkin season!
We got our hot cups of cider (and a jug of cider, and some candy apples...) and I grabbed a few little gourds to put on the front porch

 Though they look so nice on the table... they might just stay there!

Now, there's just one day left to knit-cation - so I'm gonna get knitting!

5 comments:

Araignee said...

True...rug hooking is pricy. I went online this week to try to buy my next project but-ouch. I settled for a pattern only and will be using scraps.

Unknown said...

I was at a fiber fest today about 1-1/2 hours away, but vending, not buying. But I so wanted to buy!! Unfortunately, we didn't have the crowds, so it was almost a bust for me. Oh well, at least I got to talk to fiber lovers and knit on a hat while I sat and visited. Love the shawl pin!!

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! That's a LOT of pumpkins!

Glad you had a good time at the festival. Looks like the little alpaca WANTED to go home with you.

kathy b said...

Great PUMPKIN post. I Love the Himalayan silk. Gorgeous picks

Unknown said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying your knit-cation. Love all your projects - they are beautiful as always!