Thursday, October 2, 2014

Late bloomers

September was mostly cold, but October is coming in warm. As a result, my gardens are still going.
The mystery plant has finally bloomed
It's a Black-Eyed Susan... albiet a mutant one...

The Cupid's Dart is still going strong
 And so is the Mexican Hat
The pink Creeping Baby's Breath has pushed out a few dainty blooms
 As has some random weed in the patio stones
One of the perennials I got on sale has pushed up a bud.
But I can't, for the life of me, remember what it is. I think maybe it's Alpine Aster...?

And though I've already pulled out the tomato plants,  the food garden is still producing
Yup  - Strawberries in October! They are ever-bearing strawberries and produce fruit until the frost. Isn't science great?

But even the Jalapenos are in on the fun
I've got about eight more peppers coming, though I doubt they will get big enough before the weather turns. I

I'm on vacation in a week and a half, so I'm on the look out for some new bulbs to add to the garden while I'm off. And I think I might plant some garlic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The great thing about jalapenos is that you can pick them green and they'll ripen on the counter.

I looked at our pepper plants today. We have a couple of white habaneros, a couple of flowers on the Scorpion and that's about it. The herbs didn't make it. :-( I think they drowned in all the rain we had last week.

kathy b said...

Garlic was a huge success for me this year> I planted i toast fall and harvesting in spring

Araignee said...

Pretty blooms! Everything here is gone but the nasturtiums.