Sunday, September 27, 2015

Rocky's night on the town

We had a bit of an eventful night last night... everyone's favourite brat cat...
...decided to give us a little bit of a scare... and ended up here...
... at the Emergency Vet...
It started last night just before dinner, when he jumped off the couch and I noticed he was limping. Other than a slight limp, he seemed fine, so, thinking maybe he just landed hard, I was just going to keep an eye on it for the weekend, and if wasn't better by Monday, I'd take him to his regular vet. 
But not long after, he started yelling whenever he moved. I tried to check him over and while his legs seemed fine, but when I touched near his bladder, he seemed was really sore. Then he went in the box, and barely any pee came out, so I started to worry he had a bladder obstruction. Then every time he moved, or any time I touched him, he cried out.
After much fretting over the bank account, into the carrier he went and of we went to the emergency vet, downtown.
The vet twisted and turned him every which way, and there was not a peep out of him. The vet said his bladder (what he could feel of it through the layers of fat), didn’t feel hard, and Rocky didn’t make a sound when the vet squeezed it.

In fact, the only reaction he showed (other than purring and generally enjoying the extra attention) was when the vet checked his lower spine. No noise though, just a twitch. The vet offered xrays and blood work, but being the emergency vet, I knew it would cost a fortune (we were already into $100 just for the visit), so I asked if he though we’d be okay for the rest of the weekend and I could take him to my vet on Monday.
The vet agreed, and we came home with (very expensive) pain meds and instructions to keep an eye on his bathroom habits, just to be sure it's wasn't an obstruction. Any sign of straining or discomfort in the box, and I was to bring him right back in.

When we got home, Rocky went right to the box and had a good long pee, relieving my worries there. (He's had two more today, so his bladder is just fine). He’s still limping , but  with only the occasional yell… and honestly... I think all that yelling was just for my benefit.
 Looking through the paperwork the vet sent home, he put down arthritis as a possible cause. And given Rocky's weight (19 lbs) it makes sense. So... in addition to the pain meds, he's now on a diet...
... and I'll have to get him up to our regular vet for more tests to be sure...  just as soon as I can get some more money together... so to that end... for the next week, all my patterns are on sale for 30% off. If you've wanted to buy any of my patterns, now is the time! Just use the code  DOLLARS4ROCKY at check out and save until October 3.

6 comments:

Araignee said...

For crying out loud...I hate when that happens. Pets are just like kids. They are on death's door until you get to the doctor's and then they are fine. It's nice that he's okay but vets make such a huge dent in the wallet. Our emergency vet has a minimum of $800 for just walking in the door. The last time Dear Old Doggie was there it cost me $1100 just because someone gave her too much ham on Thanksgiving.

Rachelle said...

The money thing is always a problem for some reason. We just had to get a new cat door, our old one has to be reinstalled and it won't cope so a new one is needed; that's $200 as we have to have a microchip one to stop the neighbourhood toms coming in. I'm currently treating Ray cat for ringworm, looks like it's working which is good cos we also can't afford to take her to the vet right now, been too many medical bills for me! If it stops improving we'll somehow do it, just the same as you.
Putting off the dentist for me and know I have to find the money for the car's service cos I put that off last time and she needs a service at least once a year. Hope that Rocky doesn't cost too much more, good luck!

Samantha said...

Oh Rocky. Be a good boy. I'm glad he's okay.

Bridget said...

I'm glad he is OK!

We had to take one of ours to the emergency vet this past spring and then he was there for four days with a urinary obstruction. Fortunately, all is well now with the cat. Not so much with our bank account.

But still worth it. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh MY GOSH ......that picture of him where his tag shows ------ he is the most amazingly handsome cat. It looks like he is thinking, "now HOW can I get more attention???? I know, I'll pretend I don't feel well! GENIUS!"

Hope all is okay and that he stays well.

elns said...

I love me some Rocky! I am heartbroken that he is not feeling well and worse that such a good looking cat would play with your emotions like that and make you midnight worry and travel and spend $$ on his ails.

I really hope he's okay and he appreciates you a little more.

I know you have him on a diet for health reasons, but I do love his chubs. I hope that didn't sound rude. I mean it affectionately.