Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 2: Springing into Summer

Apparently Mother Nature has decided to skip spring all together and head right into summer.  That or she's still smoking crack.

This morning was cold enough that I still had the heat on a little in an effort to keep my feet warm (and I already had socks and slippers on).But, around  2 p.m., a warm wind blew in a hot and humid summer day
The socks and slippers came off, and the kids and I headed outside to tackle one of the outdoor jobs I'd planned for this week.
The goose berry and josta berry planted by some long ago neighbour were just starting to get their buds. Long neglected by previous tenants, they've gotten pretty out of hand. My plan was to removed them entirely and replace them with raspberry canes, but that will have to wait for another year. Besides, the rabbits like to hide in them and I like the rabbits.

This year, I just chopped them right back.
I don't know if I should have done this in the winter or not, but if they are anything like the wild roses at the old townhouse, this won't hurt them one bit.
The wild mint has started to come up again. I've promised a coworker I'll dig some up for her, but I think I'll wait a few weeks to do that - let it get a little more  established. These are growing in my garden area, which I'm planning on expanding this year. (I may even keep a few of the mint plants) I'm going to check out the garden centres and see if they have some bags of soil - I can't plant outside yet(no matter how warm it is at the moment), but I can get the bed ready.

Indoors, the cat nip has sprouted
I've got to get my studio cleaned out so I can move these and the other garden goodies upstairs. If these get much bigger, there's going to be no keeping the kitties out of the
Even the three-legged one will find a way to get on the table for fresh catnip...

8 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Oh, so you got the good weather! We were expecting it all day but it never arrived. Glad you got outside!

Anonymous said...

It won't be long and you'll be harvesting and enjoying warm days EVERY day.

Rachelle said...

Glad you're getting some good weather; we're on week 3 of drizzle over here. The cats are not impressed at all and Star has started to dry herself off on me when she comes in. I think she thinks I can make the sun come.

RobinH said...

You might not get much in the way of berries (cutting in spring tends to reduce or eliminate blooms) but I doubt it will harm the plants.

And yeah...that catnip is toast if it doesn't get undercover soon.

kathy b said...

awww only my chives from last year have shown up in my herb garden.
Catnip travels to far and fast here so we don't plant it.

elns said...

Good stuff! I love and miss the wild mint in my parents backyard growing up. Sigh, city living. Anyhow, congrats on the greenery and the outdoor good times. Enjoy your time off! Whoo hoo!

Unknown said...

Isn't it great to let the toes out??? All the new plant growth is exciting. I'm so happy to see "green" again! Love the last picture of your dear buddy!

Araignee said...

It's been warm here too but my poor feet are NOT ready for public viewing. I still have the remnants of last year's last polish! It will be sock and sweater again for the next few days so I can ignore their sad existence for a while yet.