Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 9: Easter dresses

When I was a kid, my favourite thing about Easter wasn't the chocolate (though it's delicious!), or the egg hunts, or other Easter treats.

My favourite thing about Easter was that the Easter Bunny always brought me a new outfit. My family is not religious, so  there was no dressing up for Easter service, but the bunny almost always brought me a nice new skirt and blouse.

Now most kids could care less about getting  clothes for a holiday, but I always loved it. There wasn't a lot of money to go around, so generally, I only got new clothes for back to school, Christmas and Easter.  (but I got really lucky with the hand-me downs, let me tell you!)

There are no new clothes for me this Easter, but I figured it was a good day to go through the closet and sort everything out. While in there, I discovered that most of it needed to be ironed, including my collection of sundresses.
I think I'm going to need a bigger closet!
I didn't realize it until I pulled them all out, but that's a lot of dresses! That said, in the summer, I pretty much live in these dresses.  Throw on a cardigan, and I wear them to work. I even wear them in a winter - add a pair of tights and a tall pair of boots and you're set!

And now that my studio is set up, I was able to finally tackle some minor repairs and mods. Straps were reinforced, hems restitched, and on one particularly beautiful dress...
What are the chances I had the perfect shade
of yellow fabric in my stash?
I found the perfect yellow fabric make it more suitable for work. This dress isn't new, it's a hand-me-down from Samantha give it me last year along with a lovely blue one, but I haven't worn it yet. The neckline was just too low for comfort.

Throw on a nice lacey cardigan
I guess I got a new Easter outfit after all!
And it's ready for work! Or Easter dinner at Dave's grandma's - which is where I'm headed now!



And if the Easter Bunny didn't leave you an Easter outfit... knit your own! Come on over to the shop for 15% off today and tomorrow. Just use code HOPPY15 at the checkout.

Mom dyed up a whole mess of beautiful yarns over the last few weeks. 

There's Continental Cat, House Cat, Alley Cat, Top Cat and more!

Wishing you all a happy, chocolate filled Easter!

8 comments:

kathy b said...

Happy Easter. No chocolarte yet, but after the ham I'm having a chocolate egg

Anonymous said...

I like how you modified the dress. That's adorable.

Araignee said...

I am jealous of all those dresses! It's so hard to find a decent sun dress around here. I have to get them off ebay and then it's an iffy fit.
Happy Easter!

Rachelle said...

That's a lot of dresses, hope you have a bigger wardrobe than I do.

Delusional Knitter said...

Beautiful mod to that dress. That's one thing I noticed about them - the straps are typically the first thing to go! Love the new yarn, I love seeing them with the inspiration photos.

RobinH said...

Wow! Looks like a flower-bed of sundresses! I used to get Easter dresses too- it was my mom's annual attempt to get me to wear a dress. I'd wear them to Easter mass, and then bury them in the back of my closet. But when I graduated college and went off to work at my first job, all of a sudden I needed a wardrobe that wasn't scruffy. So out of the depths of my closet came the last 5 or 6 Easter dresses- each only worn once! And then I raided my sister's closet and stole everything conservative she owned (it's not like she wore the conservative stuff anyway)... and I was all set for the first summer-plus until I had time and money to start buying some professional clothes.

elns said...

This was a fun peak into your closet! Thanks for sharing. I love a good sun/casual dress that you can dress up or down. Less things to worry about matching, though now I have this whole issue with proper undergarments... TMI? sorry. The yarn looks dreamy!

Unknown said...

"In your Easter bonnet..." I bet you thoroughly enjoyed wearing one of your lovely spring dresses.