Friday, April 4, 2014

Lavender for luck

I was starting to give up on my lavender seeds. Everything else was growing so nicely, and the lavender was nothing but dirt. Rachelle of Warming Crafts told me to be patient... she'd heard that lavender takes a little longer. But as the days ticked by, I was pretty sure I got some bum seeds. But I checked on them today and...
The tiniest, itty-bitiest little sprout I've ever seen was poking up from the soil. Seriously... this thing is almost microscopic! (The seeds were pretty tiny too, so I shouldn't be surprised.) There are actually three or four of these sprouts making their debut finally.

Meanwhile the sunflowers have gone insane...
It will still be six weeks until it's warm enough to put these babies in the ground... I have a feeling I may need to transplant them to a bigger pot before then.

A friend of mine told me that the squirrels ate all of hers as soon as she got them in the ground last year. I picked up an extra large bag of peanuts with groceries... hopefully some sacrificial nut offerings will keep my sunflowers safe from gnawing teeth.

And yes, that's the black-eyed Susan in the background of the above photo
It's growing nicely - though not nearly as quickly as the sunflowers. At this rate, it should be at just the perfect size for planting outdoors when the time comes.

The cat grass has mostly been consumed, so it's up on the fish tank where evil furballs can't get it while it has a chance to recover. I haven't told the little beasties, but I got some catnip seeds and will be planting them this weekend...

5 comments:

Araignee said...

Ahhh....spring!

Rachelle said...

I'm glad the lavender decided to play ball, and the cats will love you!

lexa said...

I started my tomato seeds indoors. One pot has sprouted, but no sign of anything from the other one yet. Oh, well, there are lots in the one pot, so if the other doesn't grow I will still have enough. :)

kathy b said...

It is very fun to see your seedlings! Way to cold to start outside here….
I am planning in my head, however, how things may go this summer in my garden

Unknown said...

I'm glad the Lavender finally popped up through the soil. Interesting that the leaves are teeny-tiny.

The other plants seems to be growing well.