Sunday, April 27, 2014

My heart is in the country

Normally, Sundays mornings around here are spent lounging in bed. Dave doesn't have to be into work until noon, the cats are in no hurry to do much, so we take full advantage of those lazy mornings.

But today there was no lazing about for me - I was up and off with Dad on a mission. Dave's grandmother is talking about selling her house, so she and Dave's Mom are going through the place and cleaning out anything that's longer needed. She had a beautiful pine dining set that is older than Dave - apparently it was his favourite place to play with his dinky cars, and it's been long-promised to him.

It's now brightening up our dining room, though I'd really love a proper country kitchen to put it in... one day...

As it's more than 40 years old, it's covered in little nicks and scratches, or as Dad says "character".  

Of course, being a typical grandma, she had to throw in a few extras - a table cloth, a pile of place mats, and four trivets
 I haven't seen one of these since I was a kid!

And now I've got a pork roast in the oven, for a nice dinner on our first meal at the new table!

8 comments:

Delusional Knitter said...

I love old furniture, nowadays everything is so cheap and flimsy unless you spend thousands to get something nice. That set looks so homey and cozy!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks like quite a substantial table.

I hope you have many happy meals there. Pork roast sounds like a perfect way to "break it in".

lexa said...

I love that table set!!!

Rachelle said...

It is nice to see old furniture being used as it should be. I hope our dining set lasts that long (wedding present from my Gran).

Araignee said...

What a treasure!

Unknown said...

Very nice! A fine addition to your dining room!

kathy b said...

OH I'd want that table too. The chairs are just as cool. Mmmm pork roast..I wish I'd known I'd have popped in on you

elns said...

Mmm pork roast on a country table with character, that sounds lovely! Enjoy!