Sunday, January 17, 2016

A grand day out

Yesterday started bright and early, with a trip to the tire shop. I needed to get a leaky tire repaired, so I headed out to my favourite tire shop. They operate on a first come, first serve basis, and I got there just after they opened, and there where already three people ahead of me. It was an hour before they even touched my tire. But it meant lots of time to work on my man sock
Since the tire shop is only a few minutes from Mom's I popped up to say hi. And the next thing I knew, we were back in my car on a shopping trip.

Mom has recently rediscovered quilting (which is why you've seen me fail at it). She's doing far better than I am, and wanted to get some fancy foot for her machine. The nearest Husqvarna dealer was a bit of a trip, but a day out with Mom is always fun. Especially when said quilt shop is also in the same plaza as a bead store AND a yarn store.

We were very good girls and mostly just looked (mom got her sewing machine foot and some wool wash). The yarn store is Spun Fibre Arts. It's a nice little LYS. There was lots to look at... including these awesome felted pigeons
I overheard one of the store ladies telling a customer that they were made by another customer for her textile course.
Apparently she crochet the forms, wet felted over them then needle felted the details. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

And speaking of needle felting
How cute is this little guy?

I tried needle felting several years ago. I found it tedious, and gave up... but this makes me want to try again.
It took all I had not to come home with that squirrel kit.

But I'm trying not to add any more hobbies to the list... besides.. I've got a new cardigan to add to the queue
Rosamund's Cardigan

But first, let's finish up Mary Mead... more on that soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SERIOUSLY don't know how you resisted that squirrel!!!! He is tooo cute!

What sort of wool wash do you use? I recently bought a bottle of Kukuburra Wool Wash and really like it, but I have to go to Tampa to get it.

Glad you had such a great day with your Mom. That is SO much better than sitting in the tire store. ;-)

Happy Sunday!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a super fun day out and about!

Araignee said...

What a fabulous shop!!!! Who knew that tire repairs could be so fun!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Oh I love Spun Fiber Arts! There also used to be a really nice quilting shop just up the way from The Needle Emporium. I've spent many lost hours there!

Needle felting looks cool, but I think for an OCD personality like me it'd probably be a big fail!

Unknown said...

It always amazes me how I can pass up a pattern based on the yarn. I love the version you show, but would never have looked twice at the fav page. Go figure?

Rachelle said...

I've wanted to knit Rosamund for so long, it keeps going in and out of queue, back in as of now and working out what I have available to knit it in or if I have to spin something.

I would have bought the squirrel I think, so cute!