Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Rocky vs Old Man Winter

Winter has finally made a proper appearance in our neck of the woods. Earlier this week, the temps dropped to below freezing and this morning, we woke up to this...
Our street is not very long - only about 300 ft or so... but you can't see the end of it...

The snow is light and fluffy, but it's also blowing like crazy, so I worked from home today. Which meant by noon.... a certain someone was screaming at me to be let outside to play. He could plainly see that the yard was covered in the white, wet, cold stuff... but he was insistant.

So I did what any good catmom would do... I opened the door, and booted him out into the snow.

Much to my surprise, he didn't immediately run back in like all the other times I've tossed him in a drift. Instead, he headed over to his favourite rose bush
"Hmm...not so bad. But it would be better if it tasted like tuna."
"It is rather wet.  And cold. Why is it so cold? And why does it have to be wet? I don't particularly like wet. It would  be better if it was warmer."

But there he stayed, huddled by the rose bush. I was starting to think I might have to go get the bag of treats to entice him back in (I certainly wasn't going out there), but a big gust of wind blew through and he came running back in. (He's terrified of the wind).

He did get a few treats for at least trying out the snow, and now he's back up in the nice warm bed, being quiet like a good cat...
"How many more minutes until Spring? It comes tomorrow, right?"

7 comments:

Bridget said...

Kitties' lives are full of such drama! ;-)

kathy b said...

THey are so brave. Mine want to hit the porch everyday for at least abit. SOmetimes It is a let out and immediate let in at the window!

Anonymous said...

Oh my golly! That is one pissed-off look! LOL I'm guessing he is not a fan of winter!

My guy will stand out in the rain and get soaked, but if I so much as try and dip a dirty paw in the sink........all hell breaks loose. Go figure!

Unknown said...

I'm surprised Rocky hung out by the rose bush so long! The the wet snow usually doesn't set well. Pretty funny that a cold blast of wind sent him scampering for the door.

Araignee said...

Too funny. Poor baby looks so confused.
Because of all the warm weather my cats are confused also. We can't keep the inside/outside ones in at night so we are roaming the woods looking for them at midnight so they won't freeze. We don't have enough heated huts for all of them to be out in the cold. I did just order one more-that makes four, so if one gets stuck out we won't worry. I wish it would either get cold and stay cold or just go straight to spring. This is just crazy.

elns said...

He's adventurous as he is beautiful. Such a cuddly looking cat. I love that he actually took a little time to enjoy the winter weather. That first photo is kinda good spooky and magical all at once :)

Samantha said...

Oh Rocky, I feel your pain. 67 sleeps until spring my furry little friend.