Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Eight is more than enough

With the lack of knitting content on the blog lately, you won't be surprised to learn I appear to be in the midst of another knitting funk. I've knit a stitch here or there, but with dying cats, new kittens, broken knees and a whole bunch of other drama playing out in my life right now, I just can't seem to find love for any of my current projects.

I've found the only cure for this is to start something new. Generally something small and fun works best. Something you can get off the needles in a day or two to reignite your passion for your longer projects.

And as you know... I've always loved knitting toys. Yes, they can be fiddly, but they are small, they are quick, and they are fun! And then it occurred to me that I will be seeing Miss Nora next month.  Since I generally only see her once a year, I always like to have a small gift for her.

And what better gift than an octopus?

I've made four of them already, but not for a few years at least. I know it's a quick project, because I've knit one in a day before (though I usually break it up over two). It's an interesting knit, with lots of twists and turns. And the end result is infinitely fun.  It's the perfect thing to get my knit engines roaring.

After a brief discussion with Nora's Daddy on colour preferences, I went stash diving and came up with a leftover ball of Twinkle Cat DKor the body (because a SPARKLY octopus is way better than a plain one) and a leftover ball of dark purple Stray Cat. (Another great thing about small projects - they use up leftovers!). Yarn in hand, I set to work.

But I forgot one crucial thing.... those darn tentacles....

They aren't hard to execute (just a few short rows), and they really don't take that long... (about 25 minutes per tentacle...) but there are eight of them...
Forget Second Sock Syndrome... I've got Multiple Tentacle Syndrome! It's been two evenings of knitting and as you can see, I still have two tentacles to go...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the color you chose.

A few years ago I opened up a shell at Sanibel beach and inside was the teeniest octopus. He was EXACTLY that color!

Unknown said...

LOL, I'll just stick to cowls when I need a quick, effortless project to kick start my mojo!

kathy b said...

as long as you are still knitting!

Araignee said...

And I thought my case of second sock syndrome was bad. Eight. Yikes. I bet he/she's going to be adorable.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

At least the legs are smaller than socks! Or sleeves...It's going to be so cute!

RobinH said...

Hmm. Tentacles. Look like cat toys to me....