Saturday, June 18, 2016

Saturday sketches

I bet you thought I'd given up on this... but nope... It's been on my mind for a while and I was itching to get back to it.

When I was drawing regularily, one of my favourite things to do was to take a photo (one of mine own or something from a magazine, internet, etc) and use it as the basis for a fantasy drawing. Basically.. I love turning humans in faeries!

Ever since snapped this candid shot of Samantha last year....
I have wanted to turn it into a faerie pic. The pose is just perfect for it. So the other day, I got out the pencils and started sketching
I got it to the point where I had to make a decision. I make art in five mediums: pencil; ink and coloured pencil; just coloured pencil; water colour (on canvass or on paper); and acrylic paint.

Staring at my sketch, I knew it needed colour, so just pencil was out. If I went ink and coloured pencil, I could start outlining with the ink, but if I wanted just coloured pencil, I'd have to do some erasing of some of the heavier lines first, as well a decide on a few of the finer details before applying colour. And if I wanted to paint - I'd stop right there and transfer the design to a canvass or painting paper.

I could decided, so I set it aside to think about it a bit. But the more and more I thought about it... the more I wanted to do water colour on canvass...

So now I have to go get a canvass, because I don't have any squirrel away. So I guess you'll have to wait to see this one finished....

4 comments:

Araignee said...

LOVE IT! It can't wait to see what you come up with.

Anonymous said...

From just the sketch, I think this one is going to be awesome. :-)

Delusional Knitter said...

Oh that's going to be lovely!! Are you planning on incorporating the colors from her dress?? They are great colors!

kathy b said...

I love the beautiful dress she is wearing. I think its going to be a beautiful work of art when you are finished