Thursday, November 16, 2017

Beau chapeau

I'm happy to say  I did manage to find a couple hours to do a little exploring of Niagara-on-the-Lake while I was there.

First, let me say,  I actually know the town very well.  I was a journalist in the area for a couple of years, and covered lots of events and goings on. But I've never had time to experience it purely for pleasure.

We were staying at the Pillar and Post Hotel, which is just a short walk from the main town centre, so I set off on foot
The pic is a little blurry, but that's what most of my walk looked like.... a beautiful street lined with huge, old trees. How old...?
Well, just look at the size of that maple leaf (with my dainty size 7 foot for scale). NotL seems to be having a better fall experience than we are, though it's just a 40 minute drive from home.
 Just look at that pretty oak tree.
And the main street is just as lovely...
And lots of great little stores tucked into all those pretty buildings.
I didn't go in this one (it looked like clothing far too costly for my budget) but I loved that name.
My main destination was a little different..
A fantastic little hat shop called Beau Chapeau. I've known of it's existence for years but have never made it in. The hat selection is amazing.... with most well out of my price range (like $300-400 for a hat)
But I found this sweet little cloche that was much more reasonable, so naturally it followed me home.
After that it was a quick stop here to get Dave a little souvenir, then lunch is a lovely Irish pub (haddock and chips!)

And back to the hotel (which is lovely in itself, so it's not too terrible being cooped up)

But now I'm happy to be hatted and home with my little fur babies, where I belong!

13 comments:

Bridget said...

What a lovely place! I love to walk around in towns that are like that.

Delighted Hands said...

What a relaxing walk and shop! Love the hat!

Vera said...

That looks like such a charming town. Love your hat - and your shoes!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Such a pretty place!! Those leaves are amazing but they pale in comparison to those wonderful shoes!! Nice hat too. Glad you were able to get out and explore!

kathy b said...

You look great in hats!!! We can knit a better one for much less!

Cat Lover said...

Glad you had time to walk around. The Pillar and Post is lovely. We walked by it one day on our walk. You didn’t stop and get some fudge???

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a grand time in spite of missing the fur-kids and Dave.

Your hat looks beautiful on you. I'm glad you found something you loved at a price that you could enjoy.

Eastside Cats said...

Cute hat!

Judy S. said...

Cute hat! You had much better weather than we did in Vancouver, BC. No walking around for us as it was pouring, but we did find a fun yarn shop......

Araignee said...

Oh, man....now I want some fish and chips and I don't even eat fish anymore!!!

Rachelle said...

I love that hat, gorgeous shape. I miss old buildings, so many of ours are gone and of those that are left a good portion are still in tatters and waiting for the insurance/owner wrangling.

Anonymous said...

Managed to sneak a good selfie at the hat shop. Anytime I'm there it seems like the anti-selfie police are there.

Mereknits said...

Your little trip sounds wonderful, well minus all those meetings. I love the new hat, you look fabulous.