Thursday, November 23, 2017

One year, no wheels

It's hard to believe, but it's officially been a year since I took this beauty off the road...
...and we went down to a one car household. My original plan was to have new wheels by spring, but as a few months went by, I'd changed my mind and decided to stick it out a while longer.

I think the transition has been more difficult for Dave than me. He's had a car since he was 15. I was 22 when I finally got around to getting my license (spurred on by him). And other than the first year we were together, we've always had our own vehicles. And... when it comes to cars, Dave doesn't really share well.

I get it. I totally do. I was extremely possessive of all my cars. I hated letting any one else drive them. I was very picky about who got to monkey around under the hood. Hell, I didn't even like going to a full serve gas station. So I totally understand Dave not being thrilled about handing over his keys. Honestly, I'm not thrilled about it either... we have VERY different taste in cars. I like small and sporty, he like HUGE and Grandpa-like. As such... his car is a Buick Regal.

And, since Dave works throughout the week, and unlike me, can't do his job from home (nor take any sort of transit to it), the  Buick is really only available to me on weekends.

Which means I've put a lot more miles on these bad boys
And spending so much time on foot (and transit) really changes your life. Not just in the obvious ways.

Outings have to be planned, right down to the minute, if you don't want to be caught waiting another half and at the bus stop for the next bus.

Shopping excursions also have to take into account what you can physically carry. It's amazing what I can get into my granny cart, but you still have to pull that sucker home (or up onto a bus!) I also invested in a backpack, but again, you're still physically responsible for whatever you put into it.

But there are definitely some upsides...

There's the obvious financial savings. No car payments, no gas bill. No repairs! Though that savings is not quite a much as you'd think, because transit (mainly our regional GO transit) is quite pricey.

While I haven't lost any weight with all that walking (chalk it up to poor diet mostly),  I haven't gained any either. I have also been able to get off the pain killers I've been taking for my chronic back pain. All that movement has helped more than I could have possibly imagined.

I go places I avoided driving before. Fairs, festivals, farmers markets...even heading to big ol' Toronto... all places that are a total pain to get to in a car (parking, traffic, cost)... the bus and train take a little longer but it gets me there without the stress.

You see things you just don't notice when you're whizzing by in a car. Dogs in yards, bunnies in parks, butterflies flitting from garden to garden (and some of the gardens around here are amazing!)

That said.  I do miss having my own wheels.  I actually love to drive. So, over the next few months, I'll be working on getting a few debts squared away, and then I'll be looking around for a new girl to love. If I'm lucky, maybe even something like this...



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the car hunt!

You can ALWAYS still take public trans when it's to your advantage.

Delighted Hands said...

Summing it up like this shows you have learned a lot and where your strengths and weaknesses are-always a good inventory!

Cat Lover said...

Wow Valerie, it’s been a year? It seems to have gone by fast. It is remarkable how much you can carry in the granny carts. A friend of mine doesn’t drive and lives in a big city so has learned to schlep everything she needs on the bus. I have a car from April until November so Chuck and I share our other car for five months. Luckily the town we live in is very small so our downtown is just a couple blocks away with everything I need there.
Have a good day!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Omg! That would be FAB!!! Hope you make your goal and can get her.

Araignee said...

I totally get it. I am taking the tags off Miss Mini tomorrow and pulling her into the driveway until I can find someone who will take her as a donation. I just can't justify anymore money spent on her and her blown head gasket is a very pricey repair. I haven't had a car since she broke down and it has not been so bad. I just hitch a ride with The Mister or borrow his new SUV (!). It is nice not to have to worry about repairs anymore. Now I won't have to worry about insurance and I hardly ever have to buy gas anymore. The upside is that I do spend more time at home now getting to all those projects I never have time for. Downside is that sitting and knitting all day has added quite a few pounds to my old granny frame. No skating, no mall walking....just lots of tea and cookies I'm afraid. Sigh.....

Mereknits said...

Good luck on the car search. You have stuck it out much longer than I could have. Hugs.

Shirley said...

That is so impressive to me. I live in a small rural town with no public transportation and would not even be able to walk to the grocery store because of the distance. I only discovered your blog a short time ago but really enjoy your posts. Love your cat photos and stories! So happy that Relic is adjusting and enjoying his new territory.





















kathy b said...

Your thoughts are so interesting. We are one truck family now. So far (5 months) we have had few conflicts , few needs for two vehicles. Between Fireman and I we are doing well. I do see a lil old truck for sale about town now and then and wish for a clunker......but so far, no.

bittenbyknittin said...

I've wondered if it wouldn't be more economical to not own a car but rely on taxis (Uber and others), bus, bike, feet, etc., renting a car when I want to get out of town. One problem is I am backup transportation for my granddaughter. Another is the bus routes and schedules are really inconvenient. Also, this town is not made for biking or walking, although that is improving. And sometimes the weather is uncooperative. Sounds like I have a LOT of excuses!