Sunday, November 12, 2017

It's not easy being green

With the quilting of the placemats under my belt, it was time to step up to a bigger project. Realistically, that should be something like a baby quilt. Now, I've got a couple of those planned, but nothing cut an pieced yet.

The green quilt, however, was almost ready to go. It's a double-bed size... but hey, I'm nothing if not adventurous.

It still needed sashing, but that didn't take too long to sort out. First, I ironed out the top and laid it on my "design" bed...
where it was immediately inspected by not one, but two snoopervisors. (Though it looks like Burton is far more interested in Relic's tail than my not-so-perfect seams). I cut my sashing four inches wide to match the size of the strips in the blocks.
On one of our shopping trips, I found this soft, olive-y floral. It's not quite the same shade as anything in the quilt already, so I think it adds to the "scrappy" feel.
Not the best picture, but I think you get the overall idea. Next, I pieced my backing.
I found this in the clearance section. Technically, it's a Christmas fabric, but the only thing Christmas-y about it is the colour (green... and it's not really a Christmas green), and the snowflakes. And hey, snowflakes are winter - not  just Christmas. And quilts are for keeping warm in the winter. Plus... it's for the back! It's not going to be on display. It was only 45" wide, hence the seaming. But the price was worth a seam down the middle.

After that was all done, I locked the fluffy snoopervisor up in the bathroom (and he took his frustrations out on the toilet paper roll), and set to sandwiching on the livingroom floor.

Sadly... the only thing I have to show for it is a sore back. I mostly just made a big mess and couldn't get anything to lay smooth.

I was hoping I'd be able to start quilting on it this weekend, but no luck. Mom has offered her assistance (she's a practiced hand at sandwiching, and much more patient than I!) so it will have to wait until I have time to get up to her place.

Still, it feels good to have one more project that much closer to completion (especially considering I may have another box on the way from Missouri Star Quilt Co....)

6 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

You are experiencing the same struggles we all faced trying to smooth our layers like that!
Some ideas-

Use the fusible batting Deb has started using....

Since you already bought the batting-try hanging the backing on the wall (use a lot of tacks to support the top edge only and don't stretch it!) then spray with adhesive spray, hang your batting and pat in place. Spray and pat your top in place-gravity is your friend and NO aching back!

Araignee said...

That olive material is gorgeous!!! I hear you about sandwiching it's my least favorite part too. I wish I had room for a big table to do it on. I can't wait to see what you have coming from MSQ!

Anonymous said...

Love those scrappy blankets. It's fun to look at all the different blocks.

P.S. The look on Relic's face says it ALL ....HE's got baby brother problems!!! LOL

Tired Teacher said...

i think it's the perfect backing fabric and being on clearance is an added bonus.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Loving those snoopervisors....and the quilt is pretty too. Hope your mom can get it to behave so you can finish it.

Samantha said...

That is LOVELY. Your snoopervisors are so helpful.