Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Here goes nothing...

The weekend before last, Mom generously helped me get the green quilt sandwiched. So there was no time like the present to start quilting...
Naturally, I had some help... but once I got him sorted...
It's definitely a lot tougher than working on placemats. Although the throat of the machine is pretty big, it was still a tight fit at times. I think I need to invest in some of the nice compact cotton batting Mom uses. I'm using the cheap polyester stuff and it's quite puffy.
I'm not doing anything fancy, just stitching around the inside of each block. Despite that, it's still slow going.
I worked on it both days, and got four rows done. There's still one left to do, as well as the sashing. But I think we'll leave it for next weekend... and I don't even want to think about cutting, folding and attaching all that binding....

Remind me again why I decided not to farm all this out to Mom?

10 comments:

The Well Fed Wheel said...

That's turning out really nice! I see that handsome boy of yours is making himself right at home on it too. ;-)

Bridget said...

I think it's beautiful! The colors are so pretty together (and look lovely accented with a black cat, lol).

Vera said...

It looks so pretty! All that work is why I don't quilt. Thanks for the reminder - lol.

Delighted Hands said...

Nice work so far! Yeah, it can be tedious but you are so close to finished, you can do it!
The cotton batting will make it easier to quilt but this one is looking Good!!!

Araignee said...

Wow...that is a lot of quilt to wrestle. I am not really fond of machine quilting for that reason but hand quilting is soooooo slow. Hang in there. It's looking great!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I just love this quilt!, great colours. A lot of work, to be sure, but hopefully it is worth it in the end.

Enjoy your week,
Andrea

chrisknits said...

Because you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself! It's going to be lovely.

Mereknits said...

It really is coming along nicely. So much work but worth it in the end.

kathy b said...

You are doing a fine job! It is getting so big! you'll be thrilled YOu did it when you finsih

elns said...

It looks great already. When you return to it, you'll knock it out and do a dance not just because you're finished but because it's fantastic. You can always farm another one out down the line, but this one is all the good you!