Monday, November 20, 2017

Scrap-tacular

It may seem like I'm new to this whole quilting thing... but I'm not really. I've just only done it intermittently, so my skills aren't fantastic.

In fact, I've grown up with quilts. Mom made me my first when I was about seven. It was a pretty little scrappy nine-patch with yellow sashing (I wanted a yellow room).  Over the years she made us all several scrappy quilts (quite a few with vintage fabric from my Great Aunt Jess's stash.

And while I love all these coordinated precuts you can get now... there's just something about a quilt made from scraps. And I have long loved the Log Cabin block. But I'll let you in on a little secret....

I hate cutting.... I like to get right to the good stuff  - the sewing. Precise cutting just puts me off. So I figured I'd never make a Log Cabin quilt.

But then I saw the technique Jenny from MSQ uses to make Log Cabins (or Log Cabin-inspired blocks). I like the way she works!

Now I could buy a Jelly Roll or two, and make a Log Cabin, but part of me still really wants it to be super scrappy. And despite only being an intermittent quilter, I've actually got a decent box of scrap fabric. They've been gathered from years of occasional baby quilts, Kitten Kaboodles, Barbie clothes, and other sewing projects.

On the weekend, I started eyeing up that box. And next thing I knew... I was cutting 2.5 inch strips.
 I found this nice little box* to tuck them all away in too...
 And there were a few pieces here and there that weren't big enough for strips...
So they became 2.5 in squares - perfect for starting my cabins, or for those cute little nine patches I showed the other day.

And as I was pulling out scraps for strips, I discovered I have quite a few leftover 4 inch squares from various projects. I'm not sure why, but it seems to have been my go-to size in the past (maybe it was the ruler I borrowed from Mom at the time...). So any scraps that were big enough became 4 inch squares.
 And they all live in this nice little basket.
I'm not sure what they will become but you can bet it will be scrappy!!!

*The box once contained a bottle of wine... a gift from one of Dave's students a few years ago. We drank the wine and I tucked the box away knowing one day it would be useful!

9 comments:

kathy b said...

Val, Knowing your talent and imagination, there's a real win in there. I love how you love true patches. Me too. But then I always like whatever causes more work! haha

Delighted Hands said...

You will be so glad you did this!!! There is so much you can do with those strips now!
And they look pretty all organized; nice work on the sewing room front!

Tired Teacher said...

Scrappy quilts make my heart sing. I find quilts made with coordinating fabrics rather boring and uninspired.

I agree with Delighted Hands, you'll be happy that you spent the time cutting the strips.

Araignee said...

I love scrappy quilts too. We used that MSQ technique for Daddio's Christmas quilt top that is around here somewhere. I was going to start quilting it in December if I can find it.

Vera said...

You have some lovely fabrics Val! Well done. You've been busy, busy, busy!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Those are some mighty fine strips and squares you've cut!! Way to get ahead of the game! I really want to try quilting...it looks fun.

elns said...

This is some scrappy organization I love it. I think my love of picking out fabrics is where my quilting ability starts and stops, ha!

chrisknits said...

Love the box!!! I use whatever boxes or baskets I have on hand for storage and more. I use a yarn bowl for my cutting scraps and waste, hey I have two and 1 is all you need for knitting most of the time. Love the kitty block you made, can't wait to see what other colors you kitties are. And that cloche!!! How I wish I could wear hats like you. So stylish.

Mereknits said...

My Grandmother was a quilter and my sister is too. As for me I can't sew a straight line but i love all the fabrics.