Monday, November 10, 2014

Cat in the hat

Throughout the course of my childhood, my Mom churned out about eleventy-billion of what I dubbed the "Kitty-Cat Hat". It was a balaclava-style hat with little pointy cat ears. Mom made me several, but they were also made for every girl in the family and a few friends and friends of friends. Now that we are all grown up the tradition has continued; Jenn has made them for Paisley and Rowan. I'm pretty sure Sam has made one for Lily and a few of her nieces...

But I realized that poor little Nora doesn't have one yet
Don't you think Nora needs one? I thought so too.

In keeping with tradition, I went to to Lens Mills and picked up some variegated acrylic yarn (ours were ALWAYS knit in a variegated acrylic yarn) and whipped one up on Saturday.
I'm not very fond of acrylic (being spoiled with a host of nice yarns at my fingertips) but Bernat Satin is one of the few I don't mind. I wanted something feminine, but a little bit more sophisticated and fun than just pink
I think I nailed it with this one - the colourway is Peacock (apparently... not sure what kind of peacocks they are thinking of...). The pattern is actually knit flat and then seamed, but I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to knit it seamlessly with short-rows and no seaming. Once I knit up some matching mittens, I'm going to knit another one and give my theory a shot.

I've got a couple other knits planned for Miss Nora - I've promised her Daddy a box of warm knits before winter is out. With most of my Christmas knitting out of the way already, I should be able to meet that goal by January.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute!!!!

Miss Nora definitely needs that hat.

kathy b said...

of course I need the pattern......
That is PURRR FECT

elns said...

Super cute. I actually have had some really good knits in that Bernat satin, and as much as I love the colorway, yeah I'm with you, wanna see the Bernat peacock, ha!

It's going to make a little girl very happy.

Araignee said...

So cute! I can't wait to see the other things you make for her. How lucky to have someone so sweet to knit for.

Unknown said...

I've never seen that pattern made up, but it is sooooo cute. Yes, this little girls needs one!! I think you've nailed it, too.

Delusional Knitter said...

So yeah ... are you going to share that pattern?!?! Cuz I want one for myself! If your short rows work out that would be awesome ... no seaming is a plus! Very cool hat!!

Unknown said...

I made this hat about 30 years ago for my daughter, and now I want to make one for her daughter, but I can't find the pattern for the life of me. Where did you get it? Thx.