Monday, November 3, 2014

Not so bad after all

My fiber-dyeing experiment turned out better than expected. They've dried and Mom braided them up and sent me some pics
This one was the first one I did. The colours came out much more vibrant that I thought they would. It looked great when I first put the dye on it, but then it all ran out when I squeezed out the water. It was still pretty - but very pale. After a couple of cooks, it darkened up, but still paler than I'd hoped. It was a nice surprise to see this.
This one was suppose to have some gold and green in it, but I didn't like the way it looked, so before I cooked it, I soaked it in some burgundy dye and cooked it in the juice. If you look closely, you can still see a few touches of gold

The first two skeins are a tussah silk/merino blend. The last skein was a skein of Bugga Fiber Mom got in a trade. It was a really yucky yellow and black, and Mom asked me to over dye it.
Into a pot of sapphire it went!

Word is still out on how spinnable they are (I'm worried I compacted them a bit to much. I have to wait for Mom to spin them to find out... I have a feeling that won't be too long... she really likes that first one.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Pretty colors...hope they spin up well.

Debi said...

Vibrant colours! Beautiful work! xoDebi

elns said...

very pretty!

kathy b said...

I think they are glorious colors

Unknown said...

Me too!! I love fall shades. Can't wait to see it spun up.

Araignee said...

Wowza! That's some brilliant fiber. I'm sure with a little pre-drafting they will spin just fine. That's why spinning is so addictive. You never really know what you're going to end up with.

Anonymous said...

Pretty colors. You'll have to post when your mom has them spun up.

Rachelle said...

I'd already be spinning them if it was me, but then I've been spinning lots of grey and am now ready for colour!

Rachelle said...

Oh, and if they are a bit compacted giving them a good snap can help to loosen things up. I often diz them before spinning as well, I've got a Majacraft diz and I use that. Failing that, pre-drafting.