Friday, November 14, 2014

Spun

While I'm not a spinner, one of the things I love about spinning is how much each stage of the process changes the look of the product.

Last weekend, Mom started spinning the merino/silk that was my first attempt at dyeing fiber.
I'm happy to say that I didn't wreck it and she had no problems spinning it. And while it looks mostly pink in the braid, I actually used several different dyes on it - Burgundy, Paprika, Saffron, Brick Red, and Maple Sugar.
You can see a few of those shades much better now that it's spun and plied. It looks so different than the braid. And it will look even more so once it's knit up! Word is this is destined to become a cowl... some day - she has a lot on her list, but I've already been told I can't steal this one...

(And we might have made a trip to the fiber store to get some more bare fleece to dye...)

7 comments:

kathy b said...

It is always so interesting to me to see how the yarn comes out in the end after the spin. LOVE it. I can see it as a cowl or a hat or fingeress

Unknown said...

I wanted it!!!! Boooohooooo. Wah!!! Oh well, will just have to lust after it from afar.

elns said...

Wow! I love seeing the before and after photos.

Anonymous said...

Ooooeeee!!! That is an awesome skein of yarn. I'd say you really did well.

I can't wait to see the cowl.

Araignee said...

Scrumptious! That braid was so beautiful that I would have had a hard time spinning it. I have a box, a very large box, of braids deemed too pretty to spin. What I am going to do with them, I don't know but from time to time I go in and fondle them.

Unknown said...

That turned into one of the lovliest hand dyed and spun braids I've ever seen. If you and your mom make more and put it up in the shop, I would love to buy it! :0)

RobinH said...

Ooh, that's lovely! I like it.