Thursday, November 20, 2014

Roses for winter

With Dad's boot socks off the needles, my lunch time needed a new knit. I flirted briefly with casting on a pair of Christmas socks for Dave, but since I've already got his scarf on the go, I decided to be selfish.

I wanted to cast on for Pirate Danger, but I think it's just too involved for travel knitting, so I went on the hunt for something else. And that's when I remembered Blackrose. 
I'd made a pair back in 2011 out of Jungle Cat. I'd always meant to make another pair, as the colourway I used (Nana's Brooch) didn't allow the beautiful lace panel to really shine. But I have a skein of Twisted House Cat that will

The colourway is Volcanic - an incredibly deep, rich red that's almost black.I cast on early this week.
This is a great pattern for anyone wanting to try lace socks. It's just one small 17-stich panel, and then stockknit for the rest. I've changed to a picot hem, but the orginal calls for ribbing.

With these being a travel/lunch hour project, I don't expect them to be done any time soon. But I think they are going to be stunning when they are finished!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love, love, love the look of those socks! No wonder you wanted to make another pair. The yarn looks luscious.

kathy b said...

Wow. They are already beautiful. I love the yarn choice. Warm and classic

elns said...

I love that last photo, knitting on the go! The sock is going to be excellent in that yarn!

Araignee said...

They look like a fun project. I miss lace socks. I miss bare legs. I miss warm weather. I've had it with this cold. 50 degrees today seemed like a heat wave but tomorrow we are back in the vortex. :(

Anonymous said...

The socks are cute! But, oh my heart, those SHOES!!!! I LOVE THOSE SHOES!

Rachelle said...

Pirate Danger is one I want to knit too, so many socks to knit, so little time! Your Blackrose are looking good so far.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous yarn!! And a very elegant sock.