Monday, November 17, 2014

Swan song

Remember this?
The pretty little lace cardigan called Cygnus that I designed before we went to Virginia last year? I'd always intended to release the design for sale.

And designing itself is pretty easy, once you get the hang of basic garment construction. Working up the pattern so others can follow what you do? Well that's a little harder. And when it's something like a cardigan that requires multiple sizes... well that's just a whole other can of worms.

So, I made a few notes, but the actual pattern writing got shoved to the side and thoughts of releasing the pattern languished. Until last week.

After  getting my pretty red boots, I was itching for a pretty red cardigan.
 
Mom had given me some Bugga in Longhorn Beetle back in May before I went to Chicago for another cardigan. I've since fallen out of love with that cardigan, so I started scouring Ravelry for another. I found one, started it, but quickly lost interest.

As I was frogging it, I looked down at myself. I was wearing Cygnus. Being light-weight and white, it's one of my most-worn cardigans (Not to mention, it's really pretty!). I wear it with my sundresses, I wear it with my jeans. Heck, I've even thrown it on over my pajamas in the summer.

And then I started thinking about how nice it will look in red. Then I stopped thinking, dug out my notes, and cast on..
I'm almost through the yoke. And as I've been knitting, I've been working on the math for the other sizes. I've got to dye up some yarn for Samantha, who's going to test knit it for me.

(And yes, this means poor Old Town has gotten bumped to the back-burner again...)

6 comments:

kathy b said...

Old Town just need to simmer on that back burner now. YOUR RED is amazing. Brave beautiful women wear RED

Anonymous said...

That sweater is going to be STUNNING in red.

Rachelle said...

It's looking pretty already!

Araignee said...

Yes!!!!! And of course there must be a black swan some day.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, I do remember that photo, and I believe that sweater will be gorgeous in red!

elns said...

Dude, I love how you go to your new sweater! It's going to look fantastic in that color, and so are you. The yarn is truly perfect for it.