Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Here birdie, birdie, birdie

One little task  I set myself this weekend was moving the bird feeder.

Last winter, I had it tucked between the Butterfly Bush and the Lilac. And while it was ideal from a landscape design, as well as viewing perspective. It had a few fatal flaws that didn't make themselves apparent until spring.

First - the birds and the squirrels used the Lilac as an access route - and in the process seemed to break off several of the blooming branches in the process.

Second, the birds left quite a mess on the soil below, and as the Lilac and Butterfly Bush grew out over the summer, it got really hard to get under there and pull up all the greenery that resulted from the spilled seed.

So it the feeder needed a new home.

In the end, I didn't move it far - just to the edge of the Little Bee garden. It's now closer to the house, and even easier to view from the couch as I knit. And as you can see... it didn't take Mr. Jay long to find it in it's new location.
Or Mr. Squirrel.
It also didn't take Rupert long to figure out there was a whole lot of excitement going on on the other side of that glass.
It's going to be a fun winter...

5 comments:

Araignee said...

I used to love to see all the crazy things that would sprout up from the spilled seed. We don't encourage birds anymore because of the cats. I had to shoo a squirrel away that Hoover had his eye on this afternoon. I doubt he could catch it but I didn't want to take any chances.

Delighted Hands said...

Oh, that is so cute of your cat!
I used to have an outdoor cat who used to climb the tree and sit IN the feeder waiting for birds! Stinker!

Vera said...

So much fun (for humans and cats) to watch the birds. We have one feeder hanging from my closeline, but we have to prop it up really, really high as one day we saw Tyg (our cat) jump up to grab a bird. Now he waits underneath the feeder licking his lips.....

Anonymous said...

Kitty TV!

So far jays are all I've seen here in Jacksonville. There doesn't seem to be the variety of birds we had in Orlando, but then I haven't been here long.

kathy b said...

Wonderful post. we moved our feeder today! We think a BIG Racoon is bending the feeder down and so we hung one from a tall tree to hope the seed lasts longer. We have jays , chickadees, nuthatches, cardinals and now. the juncos are returning.