Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pink!...ish

A while back, I wandered into the drug store and came across some new colours in my favourite brand of haircolour - pastel shades.

If you've been anywhere on the internets, you know that pastel hair is all the rage right now (along with mermaid hair, rainbow hair, etc.) My hair is getting to the point where its going to need a good cutting (ie pixie cut).

So figured why not go out with a bang (or two) before the big chop? And I grabbed a couple boxes of the pastel pink
Now before you get all excited, I knew there was no way I was getting my hair that exact colour. Short of professional intervention, I don't think is possible to get that exact shade (user reviews seem to concur). My hair has a huge amount of red/gold undertones, so not only do I have to bleach, but also tone, to get a base neutral enough. That's just too much work for me.

Also, my skin is very pink... if I was able to achieve that shade, I think I'd end up looking like Strawberry Shortcake.

But I wanted to see what would happen if I put a pink dye over my lightened, red/gold hair. I spent the last week lightening my hair in stages, and Monday night, I finally applied the pink dye and...
The pink doesn't show up well in the picture sadly, but it's there. It's a mix of rose pink, apricot, light gold and pale copper. It's not at all what I expected, but I love it
The varying shades are a result of the variation in the base - it's been bleached and coloured so many times before that the most recent bleaching left a variety colours - from pale yellow to tawny gold.
The downside about pastels is even though the colour is permanent, they still fade quickly. But that just means I can try something new in a few weeks when it needs a refresh!

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Ahhh, this looks like a natural color and so much better than pink to me!
Nice for a change like this!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and I like your tonal quality much better than just all over pink.

Have fun with the changes!

Araignee said...

Fun! When I was your age I had every color hair under the sun. In my kids baby pictures I am a different mom in almost every one.

kathy b said...

Your hair looks so so pretty! WOW great results lady!