Wednesday, November 23, 2016

When it rains... it pours...

I haven't really mentioned it, but the last few weeks have been a wee bit stressful around Chez Wandering Cat.

A couple weeks back, I was leaving the mall, and Stella didn't want to start. I got her towed home, Dave determined the starter was pooched, got a rebuilt one, and a day or two later, set to work on replacing it. That starter didn't work right, so he exchanged it... but had the same problem. After discussing it, we decided to order one directly from the Chrysler dealership.

Of course, the day it came in (this past Saturday), the water pump went on Dave's car. So while he was fixing his car, I went on a long walk to the dealership and back with a 15 lb starter... in the rain.

Sadly, that starter didn't work either. We finally gave up and decided to let the professionals figure it out. I booked her an appointment with the mechanic at the dealership for Tuesday.

Monday night, I got a text from Dave... his alternator went and he was stuck on the side of one of the most dangerous highways in Southern Ontario. A tow truck was coming, so he just had to sit tight.

With no working car myself, I could do nothing but sit and wait for another text or call that the car was towed and he was safe. Thank Maude for knitting....
While I waited,  I finished the foot on the first Jaywalker sock. It was the perfect thing to sooth my nerves until I heard from him again.

Now all is well with his car (for now) and we await news on Stella. Hopefully that's the last of the automotive mishaps for a while... that or the second Jaywalker is going to knit in record time!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about all the car problems. That is certainly no fun. Glad Dave did manage to get home okay.

The Jaywalker looks great. I'll tell you what ..... had I been stressed and knitting Jaywalker that thing would have been as tight as Dick's hatband and I never would have gotten it over my heel.

You are a stronger woman than I.

Araignee said...

Isn't that just the way it goes. Everything at once. Car troubles are no fun. We had a run of them a while back. Tires, tires and more tires. My poor Mini is still in time out in the driveway. I take her around the block now and again but I don't have the big bucks to fix every little thing because it's just been one thing after another. At least you got a nice sock out of it. I love that yarn.

Delusional Knitter said...

Oh that sucks. It does seem that when there are problems, they just keep piling up. I hope you get news soon and its a simple fix. Currently my gas gauge doesn't work ... so I have to keep track of mileage, it requires dropping the tank because my mechanic exhausted all other options to fix it ... and I am well overdue for an inspection sticker now because of it.

Delighted Hands said...

I'm so sorry for the car mishaps....so discouraging.
Glad you have knitting for the nerves!

kathy b said...

I LOVE THAT SOCK. I JUST LOVE IT. SOrry about the car troubles....ours seem to come in clusters

Rachelle said...

I've noticed car troubles come in clusters too, mine lost a cylinder a month back which turned out to be corroded wires, now the gear release button isn't working properly so she has to go in again, it's intermittent and I do have a workaround but still! Hope Stella is an easy fix once they work it out and that she doesn't cost too much. I think my poor Corolla is starting to feel her age, she's 24 years old now. I've told her she can't break down properly now though, too much else to pay for atm.

Unknown said...

Oh no! We are hoping my husband's car keeps going. It's beginning to not start at times. With building a new house, we do not need a new car loan!! Hoping your car troubles clear out. Love all the starts and finishes lately, puts me to shame!

Vera said...

Yikes! Sorry about the car problems...they are the worst in my opinion. Hate them. I laughed that you call your car Stella -- that's what my son called his car (recently ...thankfully... replaced). Love your jaywalker sock!