Saturday, August 5, 2017

Bee neighbourly

The other day, Dave started talking about someone in the neighbourhood (the survey behind us, not our complex) having some beehives. Apparently we got a notice in the mailbox a while back- someone was setting up a small apiary in their yard, and had to notify all the neighbours within a certain distance. He'd tossed the notice before I got a chance to read it, but I'd love to know who it is.

I'd love to send them a note and say thank-you!
I'd love to tell them about my gardens, and that I hope it's their bees coming to visit.
And tell them that I've seen a large increase of honey bees this year (especially the last few weeks) and that I hope it's partly due to them.
I'd have a hive if I could (we rent and I don't think property management is keen)
But I'm so glad there are other urbanites who are doing what they can.
And" bee"ing good neighbours to all! Big or small!



6 comments:

Araignee said...

I haven't seen a real bee in ages. I've seen a few small wasps but no bees. Hmmmm....

kathy b said...

Hooray for the bees!!!!!!! Wow your flowers look amazing. My cosmos that I literally tossed in the ground and forgot are thriving. My pollinator bee houses are getting plugs in them and then the "hatched" hole. Im so happy to help all the pollinators. I hope they are helping the apple trees in the woods , as they are thriving .

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful-I always wanted to do a beehive! The one pic of the bee shows his pollen saddle!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that there are hives in your area. I wonder if they sell the honey. You might be able to find them that way.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

I haven't seen a big ole bumble bee in ages....I miss them. We have way to many wasps though.

Vera said...

Very cool! A guy I work with has some hives...but he is in Alabama! I wish he would send me some honey...
Gorgeous pictures Valerie!