Monday, August 14, 2017

Pin-wheeling!

I'm finally starting to get my studio in order,  and I've been just itching to take my new/old machine for a test drive. But first I had to do a little light reading...
Once I had bobbin winding and threading figured out,  I was rocking. First up, I grabbed a couple left-over squares from the cat quilt.
A  few minutes later....
Perfect coaster! (Can't mar the finish on the desk - Dave put so much work into it.)
Second task... time to get a move on the pinwheels  I started ages ago. I had enough half-square triangles (HSTs) cut to make 27 wheels.
The machine only does straight stitch, but that's all you need to piece quilts!  The machine does have a seam guide, but it's screw is missing, so as you can see, I had to get creative.
Soon enough I was flying, and a few hours later, all those HSTs turned into squares. Then those squares were turned into rectangles. I could have continued, but I long ago learned the lesson not to push my sewing. Mistakes start happening, and soon I'm doing nothing but ripping seams.
So now I've got a nice little tub of half pinwheels ready to be sewn into full pinwheels... as soon as I'm rested and rejuvenated!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sewing on that old machine must be fun. Think of all the projects that have passed over that feed dog!

I'm so glad you are keeping its history going. (Those old machines are so pretty. They just don't make them that sturdy anymore.)

kathy b said...

Awww I love the restoration of the machine and your stitchin skills!

Vera said...

What fun. I love that you are using the machine.

chrisknits said...

Love, love, love your fabric combos!!!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Those old Singers just keep on keepin on....very cool. I love the look of them too.

Eastside Cats said...

No such thing as worn-out or obsolete with that old Singer machine! Your solution to the missing screw is great; my mother did something of the same thing when she was teaching her kids how to use her old Pfaff, which sewed so many items of clothing for six kids AND a few wedding dresses too! I have a Husqvarna that is almost like new, since I only pull it out once in awhile to do some mending.

Araignee said...

Love those pinwheels!!!! And that machine..wow. It must be so much fun using it.

Cat Lover said...

Oh, I love your machine! Makes me want to find my own. I never was much of a sewer but I think I can manage a straight stitch!
Take care.
Robin

Delighted Hands said...

Good for you and what a wonder to have a handy husband! I'm so glad for you to have the sewing machine up and running!