Thursday, August 10, 2017

Let the sun shine in...

The Indian Blanket sunflowers were finally starting to wind down, so I cut off the remaining blooms (and traded them with a neighbour for some honey-garlic pulled pork) and chopped down the enormous stalks.
The Butterfly expansion garden can now see the light of d ay again. As you can see, it's a fair bit more sparse than the other gardens. That's partly becusae it was not getting much light. But that large hole in the front is where my burgundy Blanket flower was. I got one bloom on it, and then two days later, it was all wilted. Some sort of fungus just ate away at the base and destroyed it.
Earlier this year, Dad gave me some poppy seeds. I have them planted in a pot for now, but I think they will fill that hole nicely.
The Peach Foxglove isn't as robust as it could be - probably due to the shade, but it's blooming nicely. Hopefully it will beef up now that it's getting more sun.
The dollar store Anemones have done quite nicely shade or not.. I love this purply blue. The package was supposed to be a mix of just blue and white.
But this lovely rose one it about to bloom.
Speaking of Dollar Store bulbs, the Triteliea has been a great bloomer. It can't over winter, so I have it growing in a pot. I think next year, I'll plant it with something with similar foliage to fill the container out better.
And the first of the Dollar Store glads has bloomed - what a lovely coral!

6 comments:

Vera said...

Oh that coral color is fantastic!! I love that you have such a wide variety of blooms in your garden - so pretty!

Delighted Hands said...

Ahh, nice to shift gears in the garden! The gladiola is striking; what a beautiful flower!

Araignee said...

Your dollar store must be something special. I can't even get things from the nursery to grow anymore. My expensive new Rhododendron I planted this spring just wilted and died and it bloomed so nicely. I also lost 5 new azaleas. Grrrr....

The Well Fed Wheel said...


That purply blue one is my favorite. So pretty.

Eastside Cats said...

The foxglove blooms are very pretty...well, all of them are! Hope the added sun perks the rest up.

Anonymous said...

Gladiolas were my grandfather's favorite. The coral color one is really pretty. I think GD had mostly yellow.