Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Breaking down the magic

I am absolutely loving these disappearing hourglass blocks. I've gotten a few comments on how complicated they look, so I thought I'd show you just how easy they are. (You can also view the tutorial here)

Starting with two 10 inch blocks, you make 4 half-square triangles and sew them into an hourglass block.
You then take that hourglass block, and slice it into nine, equal pieces
This is where the rotating mat comes in REALLY handy!

Then you turn all the outside block around 180°**
Then you sew it together as you would any nine-patch and tadaa!
Beautifully complicated-looking stars made with zero complication!

I can make one of these blocks in about 20 minutes now, so this project is going to go much quicker than I originally thought.

** After watching the tutorial again, I noticed that Jenny turns the centre block too, offsetting the fabrics.  But it's too late for me now, and I don't mind the way mine look!

7 comments:

Araignee said...

That is just brilliant!!!!

chrisknits said...

I like yours better. I need to put one of the disappearing patterns in my queue so I will remember that I want to make one!

Delighted Hands said...

Thanks for the link to the tutorial --your blocks are looking great! I love the classy fabric with the stars.

Tired Teacher said...

Great blocks! I've never tried making them, but seeing your photos, I just might make some.

Eastside Cats said...

Very cool!

kathy b said...

All of you who quilt amaze me!

Judy S. said...

It seems a bit like the disappearing nine-patch. Did you have to adjust the size of the half square triangles for the seams when resewing? That's what made my block complicated because I needed to end up with a 12 1/2 inch block. Yours looks great!