Thursday, April 19, 2018

FO: Eternal Autumn

Since the weather was so crappy this weekend, I decided to put the enforced indoor time to good use and finish up the  Eternal Autumn quilt.

At first, I was optimistic and thought I could accomplish it all on Saturday. But it's much bigger than a baby blanket, and wrangling and pushing that much fabric through the machine is harder on the body than you might think. By late Saturday afternoon, it was apparent that I was going to have to break it up into two sessions.

However, early Sunday afternoon the quilting was done and I was comfortably ensconced on the couch with the quilt and my snoopervisor...
... and ready for a good binding session.

Not long after dinner... it was on the bed!
It's not a huge quilt - as you can see it just covers the top of my queen-sized bed.  But it's perfect for those nights when I need and extra layer
I didn't do anything fancy with the stitching - just a couple lines around the inside of each diamond, and the inside of each sashing. It's simple, but it adds a nice little bit of dimension.

And I'm so pleased that I got to use the red floral fabric on the front of  a quilt this time. It's such a pretty fabric, it deserves to be seen.

I'd planned to used the beige star fabric (second sashing from the centre) for the binding, but when it came time to cut it up, I was worried I wasn't going to have enough.

I had plenty of the striped backing fabric leftover though, so the binding it became! It was a good choice though - I love a good contrast in the binding ,and it look fabulous against the red floral.

With any luck, I'll be practicing some free-motion soon, and the next finished quilt you see may be a little bit fancier!

7 comments:

Araignee said...

Great finish! Hard to believe we are all still hiding under layers of blankets in mid April. Brrrr......

The Well Fed Wheel said...

That is one spoiled little kitty! :-)

Eastside Cats said...

Fancier than this...I just cannot imagine! I love it!

chrisknits said...

Yippee for finishes!! I am so far from a finish right now, I might have to just make a bag or something!

kathy b said...

Oh kitty undercover! I love the size of the quilt. A bed topper is always useful in our cold climates. Even with the AC going it would get used here.

Tired Teacher said...

Congratulations, he quilt looks wonderful! Love those fabrics and colors.

Delighted Hands said...

You did such a nice job on this one-even with the quilting being 'plain' it is a good match for the quilt! Hooray!