Saturday, March 8, 2014

A busy Caturday

While it's been a typical lazy Caturday for the boys, I've been a busy little bee.

I was out of bed as soon as Dave left for work (I usually sleep for an hour or so more on Saturday mornings) and into the kitchen. You see, I'd completely forgot that this coming week is March Break - which means tomorrow, Dave will head off to the cottage. While his uncle is at the cottage fairly frequently in the summer, Dave only goes twice - over Christmas holidays and March Break. So the cottage isn't stocked with a lot of food. 

And having to buy a week's worth of food when you have nothing, can add up quickly. So a few years ago, I started the tradition of making individual meals that he can just toss in the oven and heat up. But as I said, I completely forgot it was March Break already - so I got cookin'!

In that picture to the left, there are stuffed peppers, shepherd's pie, baked salmon and rice, chicken alfredo pasta with veg, and sundried tomato and beef pasta bake.

A whole morning's worth of cooking (well the chicken pasta was left over from last night... but still)...

He'll also be sent off with a couple of frozen panzarottis from the last time I made homemade pizza, a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a jar of coffee and some canned soups.More than enough to keep him fed for the week.

All in all, it's a lot of cooking for a girl who doesn't like to cook! And when I was done there, I started on a roast chicken with all the fixings for tonight's dinner!

After the kitchen was squared away, I set to sorting through my fabric stash to see what I had that's suitable for project bags.

I knew there was a reason I hung on to all this stuff! I have more than enough fabric to make many, many bags before I have to hit the shops in search of more. (Which is fantastic, because I really don't have the extra cash to lay out right now).

I spent a good chunk of the afternoon matching up fabrics for outers and linings. I do have to invest in some more colours of thread, but there are several I can make with the threads I have right now.

I'm thinking I'll whip one or two up tomorrow....

And, naturally, I dedicated a little time to knitting, while watching a few episodes of Edwardian Farm.
Promise Me is coming along swimmingly. This picture shows the first chart completed. As you can see, I did bead it, as the pattern calls for. But I went with a matching bead instead of a contrast bead like I usually do (these beads look really dark in the picture, but they are only a shade or two darker than the yarn in real life). This was really just because it's what I had in my stash - I think this would have look fabulous with a bright aqua bead, but I'm trying to be economical.

I don't believe I mentioned it before, but this will actually be a gift for my departing boss, so it has to be done by the end of the month. However, this is one quick little knit - I'm ready to start the edge chart already, so I'll have no problem meeting my deadline.

I am doing to smallest size - they say it's a shawlette, but I think it's really more of a scarflette.. which is fine, the recipient is quite petite, so I think it will be just perfect for her. And who knows, it may block out much larger than I think!

And now I can smell stuffing and roasted chicken, so I better get the table set... Dave will be walking in any minute!

8 comments:

Araignee said...

I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have you. I don't cook that much for The Mister in a year!

Rachelle said...

I also hate to cook, Dh usually does it here. I do bake sometimes, but although I'd planned to today it's not going to happen as I'm working and there's other stuff that needs doing too.
Enjoy your week, and I hope Dave does too.

Delusional Knitter said...

Wow that is a busy day! I don't like to cook very much either. Very lucky Dave! I'd go away and forget and realize once I was there I don't have anything but some cough drops in my purse to eat, LOL!

Anonymous said...

You had a very productive day!!!

The shawlette is beautiful and what a nice thing to give as a going away gift.

WildflowerWool said...

Love the dark green beads on that yarn!

Unknown said...

Yes, this sounds like a VERY busy day. How great is it that you're sending along all this food??? I assume the "boys" laying in the sun approved of all the activity. Ha. And the beads added to the knitted shawlette...FABULOUS!

kathy b said...

Wow you can be very domestic! he's a lucky one.
Love your green shawl beads!!

elns said...

I'm exhausted reading about Caturday! But you are so kind to prep him all those take away meals. That is love. Me? I just want to hang out with the cats and laze about!