Monday, March 10, 2014

Unintended consequences

Because I was stuck at home for several days without a car, I got to witness more of the wild kingdom that is our postage-stamp-sized back yard.
Of course, some of the wildlife is actually inside.

What Rocky was watching so intently was not the squirrels...
No, those poor little rodents have to act fast if they want to get those peanuts we've been putting out....
...because these guys take no prisoners when it comes to peanuts. They can clean up a handful of in-the-shell peanuts in a matter of minutes. (There are two of them and they seem to smell it! As soon as I throw the peanuts out there, they are in the trees, scoping out the scene 30 seconds later)
And cat or no cat, they come right to the door to get their booty.
Poor little squirrel has got to stay on top of his game! Even the cardinals we're running off with the peanuts (though I couldn't get a pic).

And as much fun as it is to watch nature unfold from the comfort of my couch, there's definitely one downside...
... scads and scads of bunny poo! That's just under the feeder - the entire yard is covered. Hopefully when the spring rains come, it just washes it all away into some nice lawn fertilizer...

6 comments:

Araignee said...

Pup and I found a big ugly possum skeleton in our yard this afternoon. Ugh...I'm ready to move back to the city.

Anonymous said...

As bossy as they are, I still love blue jays.

Rachelle said...

You have an exciting back yard. We had some goldfinches here today, but that was it. I don't count the electrician as wildlife.

Unknown said...

Like Rocky, I would be fascinated watching the squirrel and blue jays. (That first picture of the blue jay is wonderful.) As for the rabbits, I love watching them...but when they have found their way to the grass in my yard and left piles of poop, it has killed my grass. I hope that doesn't happen in your yard!!

Monika said...

Oh how I hate bunny poop! We have tons of it around the yard, front and back, and a Denny to gobble it all up. I'm keeping him on leash when we are in the back outside, or I would not have to feed him dinner later ...

kathy b said...

Yes those bunnies make so much bunny do doo.
I have pondered raising angora bunnies but I hear their output is unbelievable…
so I'll just buy it