Thursday, March 13, 2014

When Dave's away, the cats will play...

Now let me preface this post by saying that Dave is a cat lover. It's one of the reasons I started dating him in the first place.

But Dave is a very particular kind of cat person. He likes dog-cats. The kind of cats who are snuggly, mischevious, but not overly so - and above all else - obedient.
Our dearly departed Mopar, who Dave had had for a decade before he met me, was a dog cat. He didn't get into things he wasn't suppose to. He didn't jump on counters or lounge across dining tables. He didn't yodel all night. He didn't open cupboards and leave them open. He didn't hide on the stairs and try to trip you. He didn't stalk you for cheeseburgers...

He was a good cat.

My cats....

Yeah... my cats aren't like that.

But Dave still tries to impose rules on them... rules like "Don't sit in my chair."
"I am queen kitty - this is my throne"
And of course, it's Peno's favourite place to sit. When Dave is home, he's either in it,or he puts the foot stool in so the cat can't sit there. I thought it was just a matter of him not wanting cat hair all over it, so I tried keeping the afghan on it, but no. He just doesn't want her in it at all.

She's been enjoying it aaaaaaaaaaaaallll week.

Rule # 2 "Don't sleep on my pillow"
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ"
The cats actually aren't allowed to sleep with us when Dave is home at all. That's Rocky's fault, as he seems to have ADD and has to walk all over Dave all night, which keeps him up, which in turn keeps me awake.

But before Rocky came along, Dave and Tux had a little power struggle. Dave wasn't living with me yet, and was only there on weekends. I'd just adopted Tux, and he took offense to the fact that this long-haired interloper came in two nights a week and stole his side of the bed. Now that the cats are banished at bedtime, it's even worse. Tux loves to make a point of going in an laying on Dave's pillow whenever he can.

Dave has taken to piling his blanket on top of his pillow when he gets up in the morning, and sometimes, he takes the pillow off the bed all together. But he forgot to do so before he left for the cottage...

Rule # 3. "No begging. Don't feed the cats from your plate"
"Mmm extra old cheddar!"
Okay, yeah - we all know I don't adhere to this one, even when Dave is home.....

10 comments:

Araignee said...

Too funny. I hope Dave doesn't see this post!

Rachelle said...

Funny, over here I'm the one with rules for the cats. Not many though, and the main one is Star is not allowed in the bedroom at night. She claws her way from one side of the bed to the other underneath it and I just can't get to sleep through that! I suspect that when I'm not here T lets her in, but then he can sleep through almost anything.

Unknown said...

When first married my husband never let the dog on the furniture, so my pup would wait til he was gone. Now with two rambunctious pups there is no way they are staying off the furniture or out of our bed. And at 40 and 50 lbs, you KNOW when they are on the bed. Doesn't bother me, I just go back to sleep, but Hubster has sleep problems, so it greatly annoys him.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Gavin is like that, but in his case, it seems to work. The cat listens to him, comes when he calls and knows what "No" means. Of course, she doesn't listen to me at all. My friend says that it's the pack mentality ...Gavin is the leader of the pack, and I'm just a lowly pack-mate.

kathy b said...

What is it with these MEN in our lives and their cat rules. Fireman won't let the cats sleep with us OR sleep on the bed at all during the day. Tank does go under the covers and leaves a bit of litter form his paws..nothing any cat lover would scoff at…
but Fireman gets grossed out by it.

Harumph…..My cat rules were much softer until he retired…
maybe I can get him to take a cycling tip!!

Unknown said...

Your cats are adorable! Fiancé and me have several rules, that Nala breaks.. ALL THE TIME.. it's probably because we love that characteristic in cats - that they can be so sassy and headstrong! Though we are lucky with Nala I think, she's mischevious but not overly so (so far!)

elns said...

This was a cute post. I like the dog-cat concept. That is how my husband describes his favorite cats. I like how the photos display the cats completely living it up while "Dad is out of town." hehe. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh ....I can just see all these thoughts running through the cats' heads. LOL

Unknown said...

Tux sleeping on the pillow and covered with a little blanket...that's the best. LOL!!

Delusional Knitter said...

Hahahahhahaha! Sounds like my husband and I. And Mopar was surely like Riley (my dog cat). OMG I loved this post. I love Peno's face in the chair and Tux on the pillow - too funny!!!