Monday, May 8, 2017

A weekend of green

It was another whirlwind weekend, with barely a stitch knit. I did manage to finish the sheepie socks (I'll save those for tomorrow), but most of the weekend was spent out and about.

Saturday morning, Mom and I got up early and headed out to the farmer's market. Then we did some other shopping, dyed some yarn, repotted plants, played with puppers, watch Rogue One with Dad and had a nice dinner... and some how I managed not to take one photo of any of it!

Instead...you'll have to settle for some pictures of my purchases. I went to the market with the intention of getting a catnip plant for Ollie (he won't leave the one in the garden alone)
"Who me?"
I got it. As well as some cat grass for Peno and Rupert. But you know I just couldn't stop there. I'd managed to murder my last aloe plant (I think I overwatered it)
So I picked up a nice new healthy one. Dave is prone to burning himself on hot car parts, or soldering irons, etc. Aloe is a must have in this house.
I also picked up this neat little guy. I call it the Pepperoni Plant, but really it's a Peperomia... a member of the pepper family. I just think it's cool looking.
I
I've wanted to a succulent centrepiece for the dining table for a while - and Mom had this lovely glass vase that wasn't being used. So we picked up four pretty little succulents (boy has the price gone up on these little guys!) and arranged them with some tumbled stones.

And finally... I'm happy to say the sun has finally come out! And it's expected to stick around all week (even if it's not supposed to be overly warm)... I'm sure I'll be back with new garden blooms soon!

7 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

I'm a sucker for succulents, too! The potted centerpiece is perfect!

Araignee said...

I miss having houseplants but the cats eat then and then throw them up everywhere. I am growing a pot of grass to nibble on but it won't last long I bet.

Cat Lover said...

Hi Valerie, I laughed when I read the comment about your hubby burning himself on hot car parts and soldering irons. Not that I am amused at your hubbies pain! You could be describing my hubby!
Wasn't it wonderful to finally have the rain stop? We are supposed to get a bit more over the next couple days but by Wednesday it is to end.
Have a good day.
Robin

kathy b said...

I recall having a big love of plants in jr high. My mom took me all over one day so I could build a terrarium. She had 6 kids and no time for this, but she did it for me ! I learned a lot about houseplants out of my own interest. pepperomia, mother in law tongue, african violets, aloe, wandering jew, philodendron. Nothing too difficult to grow.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Love those succulents!

Vera said...

Love your succulent center piece. Now I want want. And cute, cute kitty sharpening his claws....watch out!!

Anonymous said...

Ollie is quite a character.

I can't wait to be able to garden again. This apartment is so dark, I doubt anything would grow inside even if I DID have room for them.