Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Poor little putty-tats

It was a whirl-wind weekend for us. I did find some time to knit, but haven't been able to get pictures yet, so instead I'll share a small slice of our weekend.

In our city, rabies vaccines for cats (indoor or not) and dogs are mandatory. That's not a problem, but the shots at the vet are $100 a piece. It's just part of pet ownership, so I'm fine with that.

But because there has been a huge spike in rabies in the local wildlife population, Public Health and the SPCA have teamed up to offer low-cost rabies clinics across the city - $25 a shot for cats and dogs. At 1/4 of the vet price, you can bet I was taking advantage of that!!!  The timing couldn't have been better, because look what happened... recently...
He wouldn't come off that ledge, but that won't be far behind. He definitely needs some protection.

So bright and early Saturday morning, Dave and I got up and dug out the carriers. As soon as Peno saw them, all hell broke loose. She bolted in one direction, Rupert in another.  I knew she'd be the more difficult one, so I started with her. I also figured once I got her in, she'd cry, and Rupert would come to over the investigate, making it easier to grab him and shove him in the other one real quick.

Yeah... no dice.

Oh she cried.... and cried, and cried.... but Rupert wasn't going to come anywhere near either carrier! Eventually, I managed to corner him in the bedroom, juggle him down the stairs and into the carrier.

The clinic was only a five minute drive from the house, but it was the longest, loudest five minutes of my life. They were howling in stereo. Rupert started panting. Peno pulled at the cage door. It broke my heart to see them so upset.

There were quite a few other animals there, all leashed and in carriers, but we decided to leave them in the car until we got all the paper work filled out. Once that was done, we whisked them through the gauntlet of animals and people and into the clinic service rooms. The SPCA vets were very sweet and gentle, and surprisingly - after all that caterwauling - both cats were well-behaved and compliant while they were checked over and given their shots.

Peno sauntered right back into her carrier when she was done - with a look on her face that just screamed "TAKE ME HOME NOW!"

They fell in love with Rupert, and couldn't get over his tiny size. The one vet had to double check his paperwork to confirm his age. He wasn't thrilled about going back in the carrier, but he didn't try to bolt off the table like I thought he might.

Soon enough, we were in the car and heading back home (serenaded once again). As soon as we were back in the house, they were set free, and immediately took off to spend the day consoling each other.
It so hard to be a cat sometimes!

12 comments:

Araignee said...

I've got the same thing facing me in the morning. One of our outdoor kitties is due for her shot and I have to coax her in the house and then get her into the carrier. I think it's more traumatic for me. I HATE doing this to them. I won't sleep a wink all night worrying about it.

Delighted Hands said...

Nothing good ever comes from those carriers! lol
Glad the rest of the weekend was calm!

Cat Lover said...

Wow, it's been awhile since we had a cat that went outside requiring a rabies shot. I didn't realize they were that expensive. Glad you were able to take advantage of the clinic.
Have a good day.
Robin

Bridget said...

You and Dave are heartless, cruel kitty parents! Who cares if you were taking good care to keep them safe and healthy??? ;-)

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Poor babies! Vet trips are always tramatic here as well. None of mine will go willingly. Thank goodness the horse vet comes to us because when he doesn't want to do something .....he doesn't. LOL

kathy b said...

You did good! It is not easy to cat wrangle! We returned a refrig to the electric company program today. The movers came at 0700. First stop. I had to wrangle the cats while they opened doors etc. had they been dogs they would have been thrilled with visitors. But alas, they are cats. They hid. Tank is still disturbed about it. They took out the fridge hours ago....they are sill wary.......hahahaha

Araignee said...

Whew.....mission accomplished! Kitty and I made it through the ordeal this morning. We won't have to do that again for 3 years. Thank goodness. Weird thing is...after releasing her back into the woods, she came back home and is sitting right outside the door like nothing happened. I think she liked the adventure. I did NOT.

Jocelyn said...

Poor bubelehs! It's definitely hard to be a cat sometimes - I've never had one yet that didn't loathe the carrier...

elns said...

Aww. Babies. What a great post though. I could see it all! Getting them rounded up sounded like a little bit of a cartoon! So cute. I'm glad they are going to be able to be their healthiest for their next adventures. I love how they are consoling each other in that last photo. What a day, Mom! Sorry it was hard for you, but your love is protecting them in a lot of ways here indeed.

Anonymous said...

Giroux doesn't mind the car ride, but he sure does give EVERYONE at the vet clinic a good dose of STINK EYE.

We have to vaccinate by law too AND cats and dogs are supposed to wear their county license tag, but the jangling freaks Giroux out big time. So....it is in the drawer. He never goes outside anyway, but when we travel it is attached to his harness. That doesn't seem to bother him as much.

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Poor babies. You're good kitty parents.

Biscuit is the first kity we've ever had that doesn't mind the carrier. We open the door, and she walks right in. Every time. Kind of cute.

Rachelle said...

Thank goodness we don't have rabies here, our girls haven't been to the vet for some years now, but I know we'll get that performance when they do need to.