Monday, May 1, 2017

April showers bring May butterflies

Is it May already?

I think May is one of my favourite months. The weather is usually beautiful (not too hot, not too cold), the days get longer, and things really start to bloom in the garden.

And the butterflies are returning. The one posted yesterday was a little Red Admiral. I was sitting on the back step, trying to get pictures of the Red and Gold finches that come to the feeder, and he just fluttered down beside me.

A couple days later, I was walking back from Lens Mills (needed beads! More on that later) and I travel through a grassy hydro corridor. There's a well worn path, but I decided to avoid it and walk through some of the taller grass. And I'm glad I did.

Otherwise I never would have seen these two beauties
Locked in a romantic embrace! They are White Cabbage Butterflies, and while they are extremely common around here, they rarely sit still long enough to get decent photos. I only had my cell camera with me, but I snapped a few pics anyway!

Have you seen any butterflies yet?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only one so far. I saw a monarch butterfly on my walk the other day.

Araignee said...

No butterflies here that I have seen but I have noticed the moths are back-and the bees. Lots of big bumbly ones.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

We've had a few butterflies around here. And we've been watching the bird feeders in amazement!

You take the best butterfly pictures!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

It surprises me every spring, but butterflies seem to be the first insect I see.
Although, I definitely don't categorize them with regular old insects like flies and mosquitos.
I've been seeing a lot of little orange and black butterflies, but I'm not sure what they are named.
Enjoy a lovely Spring week ahead,
Andrea

Delighted Hands said...

Beautiful! I love to identify the butterfly visitors in my yard!

The Well Fed Wheel said...

My butterflies have not arrived yet and I've been waiting patiently. Soon I hope. We usually have lots of them throughout the summer months.

kathy b said...

The cardinal moth has shown up here too. Im glad you identified it for me. One day its warm, the next its cold. But the leafs are almost all opened up!! Hooray! Headed out for a walk with Fireman. perhaps we'll see a flying insect or two. The Bats are back at night for snacks and the dragonflies are around on warmer days.

Jocelyn said...

Right now, it's all hummingbirds, all the time around here! Butterflies to come, though, I'm sure.

bittenbyknittin said...

We're having a cold and rainy start to May. I have seen a couple of butterflies but not sure what kind. Last year the "other milkweed" caterpillar decimated the butterfly weed that I planted for monarchs. Such is Mother Nature!