Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Happy feet

For all my love of shoes, there's nothing I love more than running around barefoot - especially in the dirt. Those happy, dirty feet are the result of an afternoon spend expanding the front garden.

When we moved in, there was already a little garden space at the front of the house, beside the front step. I filled it with orange day lilies as well as spring bulbs.
 While the day lilies have done well, the bulbs don't get much sun. They grow quite nicely, but just don't seem to bloom much. Which is a shame, because it's a mix of tulips, regular and mini daffodils, big hyacinths, grape hyacinths, and crocuses. If it all bloomed, it would be just lovely in the early spring.

A few weeks back, when Mom was visiting, I was lamenting the fact that I barely got any blooms once again.  I was talking about digging something closer to the end of the driveway. It was mid afternoon, and the sun was shining on the lawn just a few feet in front of the garden. "Why not just bring this garden out a few more feet..?" Mom suggested. And since she's such a smart woman, I decided to take her advice.
It's a tough area, because there's all kinds of tree roots running through it . But I managed to dig out enough to triple my area. I used one of the larger tree roots as a border on the one side, and had just enough beach rocks to border the front. While I was in there, I dug up as many spring bulbs as I could. They'll be replanted in the fall. When the lilies start to die back, I'll be able to get in and get some of the rest that are closer to the back.
All the new day lilies got planted (Stella de Oro already has buds), as well as the white Bleeding Heart. I relocated my double-bloom Campanula, the Jacob's Ladder, a couple pieces of Sedum and my Toad Lilies (so happy they survived!). It looks a little sparse now, but it won't take long to fill out. I may grab a few annuals to add some colour this year - next year I won't need it at all.

And if you're wondering about that strange salmon-coloured plant...
That's Mom's fault. It's a Begonia. Normally, I'm not really a fan of Begonias - but I have to admit, this one was kind of neat looking. I bought it for a hanging pot (along with a few other things) but once I got everything else in the pot, the Begonia just wasn't really working... so into the front garden it went.

The garden expansion was a lot of work... but it was well worth it - I'm so pleased with the final result. And I may still dig another one at the end of the drive... but I think we'll wait until fall.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my ............looks like you brought quite a bit of the garden back IN with you. Looking forward to seeing your pretty bulbs all in bloom next spring.

Cat Lover said...

Hi Valerie, there is nothing better than digging in the soil! You expanded garden looks great. It is surprising how quickly everything will fill in.
Have a good day!
Robin

Araignee said...

I really miss having a garden. Daddio's was perfect. Full sun. Bay view. Those were the days....

Delighted Hands said...

Fantastic accomplishment! It is going to look great as it expands!
I do miss real dirt-nothing but sand here!

kathy b said...

Val you made me laugh. Love the dirt covered hard working feet! The gardens are just lovely. I will attempt to week a bit more later. We have had so so much rain its always wet and the weeds seem to thrive on it

Vera said...

That is going to be a gorgeous bed. And you're right, it won't take long for it to fill in.

The Well Fed Wheel said...

Oh boy.....someone's going to need one of those Fabulous Foot Fizzies from Araignee's Tangled Web! Nice job on the garden expansion. That's a perfect spot for it too.

Mereknits said...

Your feet look like mine, I am always in the dirt weeding in my bare feet. Great idea expanding the garden.