Saturday, May 20, 2017

Did someone say day lilies????

I'm sorry... I will have knitting for you soon.... but right now.... I'm just all about the garden.

The other day after work, I decided to get off the bus several stops early. Another grocery store had opened their garden centre and I wanted to see what they had. Last year they were a little cheaper than my usual garden centre and had some different plants. In fact, my pink oriental lily, blanket flower, sweet william, bleeding heart, speedwell and pink and white delphinium were from there.

So I got off the bus and went and had a little looksie... and well...

This one came home with me...
 ...and this one...
... and then I saw this one, I couldn't leave it behind.
Nor this one...
Or this one...
I absolutely love day lilies. I love all lilies, really, but Day Lilies are a fave. Of course, I have the common orange ones... but some of the fancier ones are hard to find, and can be quite expensive. This is the first time I've ever seen anything other than Stella de Oro at a garden centre.

I have plans to expand the front garden, and since it only gets sun in the afternoon, day lilies are a perfect choice. Not only will they fill it out nicely, they will bloom and bloom. I guess it's a good thing I'm on vacation this week... I've got some digging to do!

5 comments:

Araignee said...

They bring back memories. Mom loved them too. Daddio and I planted a bunch of day lilies in his front yard when he was still functioning. I am tempted to ride by and see how the plants are doing but no....still too soon.

Delighted Hands said...

Ahhh, vacation and gardening-very nice! I love day lilies, too but struggle with them here. I will enjoy seeing yours! You made some great choices!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I he a ton of the orange variety as well, but have started a collection of the less common, fancier types as well. They are a such a great plant - definitely one of my faves!
Andrea

Cat Lover said...

Hi Valerie, I don't dare visit too many garden centre's as things tend to pop into my shopping cart too. That being said we finally finished planting all the perennials in our gardens that we had recently purchased.
Can't wait to see all your new lilies blooming!
Enjoy the weekend.
Robin

Rachelle said...

I love daylillies, have several types here already but I'll have to look and see if I can find more. They're a great weed blocker too.