Monday, June 29, 2015

Bee Mine

Last year we had the bumblebees
(and we've had some this year too)

And so far this year, we've seen
Alfalfa Leaf Cutter Bees....
Green Sweat Bees...
... and even an Elm Sawfly (which is neither a bee, nor wasp, but looks like it!)

But at long last... we thought we finally spied...
The coveted Honey Bee
But alas..... our beekeeping friend Natalie has identified it as just another sweat bee.... The sweat bee is a much smaller bee (about the size of a housefly).
But any pollinator is a good pollinator when it comes to flowers
One day, my bee will come

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So many different kinds of bees! I don't think we have so many kinds here...but I could be wrong. Very interesting...and some great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Look at all the pollen on his (her?) legs! AMAZING! Was the photo taken with the goPro?

kathy b said...

Bees are so cool. I love them

Rachelle said...

We get loads of honey bees over here and bumbles as well as some hoverfly types but I've never seen sweat bees in NZ. I leave my lawn full of clover especially for the honey bees as they love it!

Araignee said...

You know....now that you mention it, it's been ages since I've seen a honey bee. I used to step on them all the time when I was a kid. Ouch.