Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Carnage

We got some much needed rain on Sunday, and while there was a little wind, it wasn't worse than any other storm we've had so far (and much lighter than some). That's why I was surprised when I looked out Monday morning and saw the roses under the bird feeder were both damaged (and only those two... Queen E and Tournament are fine).
 Mellow Yellow seemed to take the brunt of it, but Chicago Peace lost some too
I lost three buds...
And a lot of leaves.

My worry is it wasn't the wind... but an animal.... but what animal?

The Sparrows aren't heavy enough and the Doves stay on the ground and pick the seed up. I suppose it could have been the Grackles, though they've never done it before.
I guess it could have been one of these guys too, but like the doves, they are mostly content to eat the seed on the ground (the sparrows throw it all over the place so there's more than enough.)

But I'm really starting to wonder if it was someone more sinister....
I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out.... I may have to find a new place for the feeder.

4 comments:

WildflowerWool said...

The joys of wildlife. I opened my front door to a skunk a few mornings ago.

Araignee said...

That's just crazy. Who is brave enough to tackle roses? Poor buds....

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh .....WHERE did you get that picture of the raccoon?????? That is EXACTLY what those little boogers look like --- ALWAYS PLOTTING!

Lorraine said...

I'm to the point where I believe raccoons can eat anything, even thorns.