Saturday, June 20, 2015

Sucked in

(Knitting post coming soon, I promise)

Y'all know I love a good sale. So you won't be surprised to learn that when my local grocery store garden center started clearing out their stock, I just had to go see what they had.

The deals weren't as deep as last year (yet), but I still came home with some pretty gorgeous finds.

 Just gorgeous... am I right???

This beautiful braided Hibiscus tree can't winter here, so I had to put her in a big pot so I can bring her in before the frost. (And the darn pot cost more than the tree!!!)
I've got her nestled between the roses and the back step. Such a beautiful sight to see as soon as I walk out back.

And did you notice something new beside Tournament of Roses...?
Meet Popcorn Drift. Drift roses are a cross between a ground cover rose and a miniature rose.
As you know, I normally prefer tea roses, but not only was this one an amazing price.... it smells wonderful!

I planted her in the last spot open in the backyard. Which means that Navy Lady....
 
Had to go out front - but I found the perfect spot right at the edge where the driveway meets the walkway
This one is a shrub rose, but I just couldn't resist that colour. And since buying it... I've discovered something that makes it even more wonderful.

"It was named in honour of the thousands of Canadian women who served in the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service (WRCNS), known as Wrens, and the women who continue to serve as members of the Canadian Navy today. Developed by Agriculture Canada (that government department once had quite a well-known rose breeding program), the rose received a special place in history in 2010 just in time for the Canadian Naval Centennial."

How cool is that? 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The flowers are so beautiful. I know you are going to enjoy them all summer long.

Araignee said...

I love Hibiscus! When the kids were little we had two giant iguanas that needed them for food so I grew them. Yours is a beauty.

kathy b said...

That is WAY cool. I have to go trim my roses

gayle said...

That hibiscus is amazing!
I love all your roses, too. Though I think rose breeders have concentrated too much on looks and too little on smell. It's hard to find a rose with a 'rose' smell anymore...

Anonymous said...

That pot is just perfect for the hibiscus! Lovely finds!

I was thinking of you while I was potting up herbs this morning. I thought how much you would enjoy the job while I would much rather be doing something else.

But, next week when I am eating FRESH basil with my caprese salad, I'll be glad I did it. ;-)